Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Trials of Apollo Book 4: The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan



Summary from Goodreads:
In his penultimate adventure, a devastated but determined Apollo travels to Camp Jupiter, where he must learn what it is to be a hero, or die trying.

It's not easy being Apollo, especially when you've been turned into a human and banished from Olympus. On his path to restoring five ancient oracles and reclaiming his godly powers, Apollo (aka Lester Papadopoulos) has faced both triumphs and tragedies. Now his journey takes him to Camp Jupiter in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the Roman demigods are preparing for a desperate last stand against the evil Triumvirate of Roman emperors. Hazel, Reyna, Frank, Tyson, Ella, and many other old friends will need Apollo's aid to survive the onslaught. Unfortunately, the answer to their salvation lies in the forgotten tomb of a Roman ruler . . . someone even worse than the emperors Apollo has already faced.
Review:
I couldn’t remember why I postponed reading this one. I knew I had a subconscious reason for stalling. I just didn’t remember why. Then one day in quarantine, I found this on my TBR pile and was like, “How have I not read this yet? It came out ages ago!” Then, I started reading and a few pages in, I remembered….
A character I cared about died in the previous book! How did I forget this? I mean I must have subconsciously remembered because why else did it take me so long to get to this book? Also, I didn’t think in my wildest dreams that I would ever say this, but I think this series has become my favorite by Riordan….I love this series so much. Not only does Riordan combine both the Percy Jackson series and the Heroes of Olympus series in one here, but he also involves the Gods in a way he never has before.
I was not expecting to love Apollo. I grew to seriously love him by the last book. But in this book, my love ran even deeper! When I first started the series, I was entertained by him and often annoyed by him. I often skipped his haikus and found them trivial in the scope of the story. Now, he’s come so far. I love his character as much, if not more than the other heroes. And I read every haiku! I cried with Apollo at the beginning when he had to explain a certain death.
I actually cried with Apollo a couple more times in this book. This book really messes with your heart. These heroes are not safe. And they are all (as always) willing to die, to save everyone. So, you never know what’s going to happen! People need to be saved all the time in these books! There are no breaks. Literally. This book is jam-packed with high stakes battles, car accidents, killer unicorns, evil birds, silent Gods, prophecies, the undead, terrible war wounds, bombs, explosions, and I know I’m not even remembering it all. It was crazy. It was hard to put this book down.
I’m so glad I finally read this. I cannot wait for the final book. The last book is taking place in New York. So, I know more old friends will be there. But, also, I just need to know how the prophecy ends. Does Apollo finally get to go back? More importantly, do I want him to? And what’s the last haiku going to be? I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment