Monday, November 15, 2021

Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend


Summary from Goodreads:

Wunder is gathering in Nevermoor ...

Morrigan Crow may have defeated her deadly curse, passed the dangerous trials and joined the mystical Wundrous Society, but her journey into Nevermoor and all its secrets has only just begun. And she is fast learning that not all magic is used for good.

Morrigan Crow has been invited to join the prestigious Wundrous Society, a place that promised her friendship, protection and belonging for life. She's hoping for an education full of wunder, imagination and discovery - but all the Society want to teach her is how evil Wundersmiths are. And someone is blackmailing Morrigan's unit, turning her last few loyal friends against her. Has Morrigan escaped from being the cursed child of Wintersea only to become the most hated figure in Nevermoor?

Worst of all, people have started to go missing. The fantastical city of Nevermoor, once a place of magic and safety, is now riddled with fear and suspicion…

Review:

I was surprised by how much I loved this book. I really enjoyed the first book, but I was putting off reading book 2 for some reason. I guess it’s often the case that sequels are typically weaker than their predecessors in the kid lit world of fantasy novels. I was pleasantly surprised though here. The world building continued to impress me. It didn’t end with book one. Now that the chosen few kids passed the trials, we really get to see what the kids learn in this crazy, magical world of secret abilities.

And oddly, this book 2 reminded me a lot of Chamber of Secrets. There was this same sense of prejudice and ostracizing going on. Morrigan, like Harry, has to prove herself over and over, in a world where it just seems like it would be so much easier for her to be evil. I found myself relating to Morrigan. Who hasn’t been judged for something they cannot control?

On top of that, this is a book where other strong friendships are formed. I loved watching Morrigan branch out a bit. Of course the school, the transportation, and the world were fascinating. But, behind it all, were the relationships. The families and the friendships were just so good. There’s also the overarching villain and supspenseful mystery that involved teachers, creatures, and eventually peers being kidnapped.

There’s mythological markets, secret passages, insane maps, rescue missions, blackmailing, bullying, dragons, propaganda, and Wunder. It’s hard to put this book down. I cannot wait to read the next installment. I already ordered it, so it’s just a matter of time at this point.

All in all, I highly recommend these books to fans of middle grade fantasy. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment