Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Bloom by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau



Summary from Goodreads:
Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band―if he can just persuade his dad to let him quit his job at their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away over rising dough and hot ovens. But while interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easygoing guy who loves baking as much as Ari wants to escape it. As they become closer over batches of bread, love is ready to bloom . . . that is, if Ari doesn’t ruin everything.

Writer Kevin Panetta and artist Savanna Ganucheau concoct a delicious recipe of intricately illustrated baking scenes and blushing young love, in which the choices we make can have terrible consequences, but the people who love us can help us grow.
Review:
I received this book for review, and I have so, so, so many books I’m behind on, and I wasn’t anticipating reading this so quickly, but there was just something unbelievably cute about the cover. This book ended up budging about 10 other books in my TBR pile.
The art is just so adorable. It’s like the facial expressions and background shots of a remarkably good, old school manga series (but in various shades of blue instead of black and white). And the panels were so clear-cut, they were like the bold, clear panels from a young reader’s graphic novel (like Babymouse). The art definitely seemed Japanese inspired. And, it was simple and would definitely be easy to read for someone not used to graphic novel formatting.
I did not love the plot as much as I loved the artwork. And by plot, I guess I really mean,  the main character. Ari was just so whiny, angsty, and kind of a giant jerk. He’s like Harry Potter in book 5 mixed with Clay from Thirteen Reasons Why, mixed with most main characters from John Green novels, level angsty. And I never really understand why. At least Harry had chosen one stuff to go through and most of John Green’s characters were going through something that was explained. Ari’s actions never really seem justified. He liked to play music…and? There was no development to his angst.
Also, his friends are jerks too. Why is he friends with people who constantly ditch him, make fun of him, and make fun of strangers? Like, I don’t think there was one redeeming quality in any of his friends. I did love Hector. He was so kind, and charming. And I loved the kind of love story he inspired. I just felt like Hector deserved so much better…I would not have forgiven Ari for all the stuff he did wrong. Hector was beyond kind. So were Ari’s parents.
All in all, the art was amazing. Hector was amazing. All the baking scenes were amazing. The main character was terrible. I never liked him. I certainly never liked his friends. And I don’t think he deserves all the happiness at the end (with almost no consequences for any of his bad behaviors). I give this a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment