Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz


Summary from Goodreads:

A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship--the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Review:

There are some authors that are amazing at writing plot, some that are amazing at writing worlds, some that are amazing at writing characters, and some that are amazing at writing feelings. Benjamin Alire Saenz perfectly captures what it feels like to be a teenager. This book didn’t have a lot of plot to it. It’s mostly about Ari growing up and learning about who he is, and why he is so angry.

Sometimes I can’t handle reading teen angst. Like the whole 5th Harry Potter book was sort of painful for me. But other times, what I’m reading gives me goose bumps. It’s like the author can perfectly put to words years worth of emotions that I have felt and still can’t figure out how to articulate. And I’m so grateful for authors like this who can say everything I wish I could say. I love a good plot, and a beautiful setting as much as the next reader, but just wow, when a YA author gets it, they really get it: the universal language of anger mixed with hormones, mixed with confusion.

I also didn’t really fully even understand how much I loved this book until I finished it. Like, I read a book with not a lot of plot way too quickly! All of a sudden, it was over. I even went back and read the last couple pages over again. I had to re-read them and permanently paint the desert image in my brain, so I wouldn’t be able to forget. And then I felt sad. There’s no way that the next book I read will come close to competing with this.

There’s also something always magical for me about summer books. There’s something special about the months between school, when anything can happen. Friendships form, dogs are found, and freedom is found. There are certainly milestones in this book like learning to drive and working first jobs. And there’s serious moments too, like losing family members or getting hit by a car. But, the best parts are the moments of laughter between the friends. When Ari and Dante share books and go swimming together –the normal stuff.

Clearly, lots of people love this book. It’s covered in awards and accolades. I’m late to the party. I’m just sorry it took me so long to find it. I loved it. I’m sure I’ll read it again at some point too. I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment