Monday, May 17, 2021

Good Girl, Bad Blood by Holly Jackson

Summary from Goodreads:

The highly anticipated sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller, A Good Girl's Guide to Murder! More dark secrets are exposed in this addictive, true-crime fueled mystery.

Pip is not a detective anymore.

With the help of Ravi Singh, she released a true-crime podcast about the murder case they solved together last year. The podcast has gone viral, yet Pip insists her investigating days are behind her.

But she will have to break that promise when someone she knows goes missing. Jamie Reynolds has disappeared, on the very same night the town hosted a memorial for the sixth-year anniversary of the deaths of Andie Bell and Sal Singh.

The police won't do anything about it. And if they won't look for Jamie then Pip will, uncovering more of her town's dark secrets along the way... and this time everyone is listening. But will she find him before it's too late?

Review:

This is one of those sequels I went online and immediately purchased after completing the first book. I read the first book insanely quickly, and while the mystery was all solved I knew I would probably read this one equally fast. There’s something to be said about a good murder mystery. Did I like book 2 as much as book 1? Not quite. Did I still read it really quickly? There was one night my husband came out of our room at about 2:30 am, and was like “Why are you in the living room? Are you sick?” The answer was no. I was finishing this book… That answers this question. And to be fair to my husband, I have two chronic health issues (migraines and GI problems that can sometimes interrupt my sleep).

I guess the mystery wasn’t quite as intense because it was about a missing person, and not a murder. The first book (while mostly also dealing with a cold case missing person, also dealt with murder/suicide, and a whole bunch more of crazy dark material. This seemed a bit more tame. That being said, there was still catfishing, blackmail, robbery, and the eventual back story of a serial killer…Okay, maybe it’s not so tame….it just appeared that way initially. Have I mentioned that I love stories that involve serial killers? Once that came into the plot, there was no hope for me going to bed like a normal person.

Any way, what kind of threw me for a loop (and it’s no fault of the author’s) is the American version of it all. The first book I read came from Europe. This book did not. I guess the publishing company thought Americans wouldn’t be able to handle European schools being mentioned? Or towns….Whenever American places got mentioned, I was like, “What? Where am I?” It was very confusing. But, if both the books I picked up were from the same continent, I wouldn’t have that problem. I just don’t understand why the publishing companies think Americans can’t understand the things they took out…we are not that stupid….Like we can handle the names of British universities without a total meltdown. It’s just strange what they decided to tweak.

I think there’s going to be a book 3! I will definitely want to read that one too. I recommend these books to fans of Truly Devious,  and the tv show Pretty Little Liars. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment