Tuesday, August 21, 2018

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han



Summary from Goodreads:
Last year, all of Belly’s dreams came true and the thought of missing a summer in Cousins Beach was inconceivable. But like the rise and fall of the ocean tide, things can change-- just like that. Suddenly the time she's always looked forward to most is something she dreads. And when Jeremiah calls to say Conrad has disappeared, Belly must decide how she will spend this summer: chasing after the boy she loves, or finally letting him go.
Review:
It’s a rarity when the second book in a series is my favorite, but that happened here. I love book 2! I read it so quickly (probably in a few hours). And that’s not because this was as fluffy a book as book 1 was. It wasn’t. This one had me crying, frequently… There’s death, grief, and heartbreak. But, oh, have I come to love these characters. I love them all for different reasons.
I truly got to know the characters in this installment. The character development was just right. I loved seeing the ups and downs of Belly and Conrad. I loved getting Jeremiah’s perspective. I came to care for him in a way I wasn’t expecting to. And oh my goodness, did my heart break for everyone when I read about the funeral. I know what losing a parent is like, and there’s so much I related to here. And it was hard watching the characters I have come to love, go through this.
I also like that Conrad had a good reason for leaving school and going to the beach. I remember feeling so relieved that there was a logical reason to his behavior. The one thing that bothered me a little was that so much was so clear to me about Conrad, and I hated that Belly didn’t see it. Or I guess I hated that she was so quick to believe him when he pushed her away.
Belly has grown up a lot in this book. She’s smarter. She sees what she deserves and doesn’t deserve. She still will do anything for her boys, but she knows herself in a way she did not before. However, there’s still so much she doesn’t see. And I guess that makes her all the more believable.
There were moments when I gasped out loud at events that happened. I was shocked by a drunken phone call. I was shocked by what Belly yelled at Conrad at the funeral. I was shocked at prom. I was shocked at a moment in the car. I was shocked in a motel room. And I guess that’s the power of a good book. It shocks you. It makes you cry. It has you laughing. And it really just has you feeling. I had all the feelings. This book did all of that and more. I’m so glad I decided to read this series.  I give this one a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment