Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Amulet: Supernova (book 8) by Kazu Kibuishi



Summary from Goodreads:
Emily has lost control of her Amulet and is imprisoned in the Void, where she must find a way to escape the influence of the Voice. Meanwhile, Emily's brother, Navin, travels to Lighthouse One, a space station where the Resistance is preparing to battle the approaching Shadow forces that would drain planet Alledia of all its resources. Emily and Navin must be smarter and stronger than ever to ensure Alledia's survival.
Review:
I feel like there are certain books every Youth Services Librarian and teacher of children needs to read. At the top of the list is Harry Potter. This series makes that list too. There is something so unbelievably special about these books. The art in them is beautiful. The adventure storyline and the way everything is connected is just masterful. These books have a little bit everything to please anyone. There’s high-stakes action, space travel, magical powers, family drama, Jedi-style training/learning, kid power, and just everything.
This was the first Middle Grade graphic novel series to ever fully engross me. I remember checking out book 1 at my library, and the next day, picking up books 2-5 (6-8 weren’t out yet). They are the graphic novels I tell parents to read, who just don’t get why their kids are interested in such a format. And I may have sneakily read this latest installment before it’s pub date because I got it in a little early…It’s that good.
This installment did not disappoint. The art was just as amazing. The suspense and action were just as good. I read it in one very short sitting. We learn more about the voice in Emily’s head –more about the power she has in general. I found this fascinating. I feel like a lot has come so easily for her character, so watching her struggle with things was actually kind of refreshing. And Navin had a little learning and growing also. I like how far his character has come. I can’t wait for their reuinion!
There’s some interesting Back to the Future moments in this plot too…I won’t say too much because I don’t want to spoil things. Oh, and an amazing new power makes the ending of this installment pretty epic. You also learn that the next book will be the last!
The bad thing about these books being so good and going through them so quickly is that then you have to wait forever for another installment. I am so beyond excited for the last book in the series. Hopefully, it won’t take another 2 years. How can I wait that long?All in all, this was a great addition to the series. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment