Tuesday, December 11, 2018

What if it's us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera



Summary from Goodreads:
Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.

Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.

But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?

Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.

Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.

But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?

But what if it is?
Review:
This was cute. It wasn’t the crazy amazing love child I was hoping for. I love both Albertalli and Silvera. And I may have overly anticipated a book collaborated on by both of them. That being said, I did still super enjoy reading it. I read it remarkably fast (over the course of a travel day). And I did make friends with a stranger at the airport because of it. I feel like both authors would be proud of that. Yay for cool adults reading YA!
I guess what makes this book stand out so much to me is that it is a classic romantic comedy story about a gay couple. It’s practically 2019. Why isn’t this a genre of its own already? It was nice seeing some classic, fluffly tropes apply to all kinds of love, and not just the normal hetero-type romance. Also, both authors know how to write realistic, current relationships in a way that most only dream about writing. Seriously, it felt kind of like the gay, modern version of You’ve Got Mail or Sleepless in Seattle. It was top-notch fluffy romance. If you enjoy a fun romantic comedy, you’ll like this one.
I guess I was expecting a tiny bit more substance to the fluff because both authors are known for a little bit more than this. However, I’m not really complaining. It was nice having a book that was lighter and easy and fun to read during a hectic traveling day. The humor, the awkwardness, the awesome side friendships, and all the unbelievable character development both authors are known for, did really shine through.
My only real qualm with this book overall, is the ending. The ending was too real. I don’t want to say too much about it and spoil it for anyone. But, it was weird having such a fluffy (almost too good to be true-type) romantic comedy not end how all good fluffy (almost too good to be true-type) romantic comedies should. Like why was the ending the one element that was not a part of the cutesy story? I say if you’re going to be fluffy, go fluffy all the way.
All in all, both authors did a splendid job writing a truly modern, cute, gay romantic comedy. I read this book quickly. I loved the characters (main and side ones). I loved the corny love story elements that reminded me of You’ve Got Mail. I was maybe expecting a little more. And I was not a fan of the not-as-cute ending. I give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment