Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Keeper of the Lost Cities Book 5: Lodestar by Shannon Messenger

Summary from Goodreads:

Dark schemes unfold--and Sophie's loyalty is pushed to the limit--in this thrilling fifth book in the best-selling KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES SERIES.

Sophie Foster is back in the Lost Cities--but the Lost Cities have changed. The threat of war hangs heavy over her glittering world, and the Neverseen are wreaking havoc.

The lines between friend and enemy have blurred, and Sophie is unsure whom to trust. But when she's warned that the people she loves most will be the next victims, she knows she has to act.

A mysterious symbol could be the key--if only she knew how to translate it. Every new clue seems to lead deeper into her world's underbelly and the Black Swan aren't the only ones who have plans. The Neverseen have their own Initiative, and if Sophie doesn't stop it, they might finally have the ultimate means to control her.

Review:

So, this is my favorite one in the series so far. And that really does mean something now because I’m up to book 8 now…I’m so obsessed. I think I read this one the quickest. SO much happened. Also, there was so much Keefe! Keefe is undercover in this book, and there’s all these secret telepathic conversations now between Sophie and him (not just Fitz). There’s also a lot that goes down with Keefe and his mom, and I’m trying to remember the right story arcs….because this was a few books ago for me at this point….

There’s kidnappings, accidental viewings of secret hideouts, tons of information about the Neverseen, about Wylie, about ogres. There’s a political peace summit. There’s creepy Hannibal Lecter type prison scenes. There’s escapes, explosions, and an actual plot twist or two that I did not guess in advance! And there is so much Keefe! He has become the most well written, interesting character. And I am shipping him and Sophie so hard.

Also, Sophie gets another ability! SO much happens in this book and I think I like it so much because you really see how much certain characters have developed and grown over the course of the series. And, the action in this installment is just the best and the most political yet. I loved all the nuances between the species at the summit and learning about different magical cultures. I think it’s interesting that Sophie has this “unique” perspective on everything because she was brought up by humans. There’s this moment when all hell has broken loose toward the end and it’s like all of my favorite genres have combined: spy thrillers, YA novel, romance, magical fantasy, action movie, and comedy. There’s this super sad scene in this book too that actually caused a tear in my eye. This book has everything.

And then of course there was the cliffhanger! For the first time, I broke my rule and went ahead and reached for the next book before reviewing this one. I was spacing out the books and reviewing them and reading at least one other book between each one so my mind would remember them better for the review process….but that cliffhanger. I literally finished the last page of book 5, and in the middle of the night (when I should have been sleeping!) opened up the first page of book 6. That’s how obsessed I am. I give this one a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment