Monday, January 4, 2021

Pages and Co: Map of Stories by Anna James

Summary from Goodreads:

Tilly and Oskar embark on an impromptu trip to the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, in search of an elusive group of bookwanderers called the Archivists, who they believe are the key to restoring the balance and saving the British Underlibrary.

Along the way, the friends realize that something strange is happening in the world of bookwandering: books are disappearing, people are forgetting their favorite stories, and stories are trying to drag Tilly into them.

With a mysterious set of clues and some surprising new faces, Tilly and Oskar will need the help of some of their dearest fictional friends to be able to solve the mystery... and save bookwandering forever.

Review:

I love these books. The will forever hold a special place in my heart because of how I first came across them on my honeymoon in Paris at one of the best bookstores in the world: Shakespeare and Company. It does not escape me that bookstores play a very important role in these novels. But, also these books are odes to children book lovers everywhere. They are for fans of Alice in Wonderland and Anne of Green Gables. This one also brings fairies to life from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream!

Now, there’s also the archivists, and authors themselves to deal with. I think this was probably the most action-packed book in the series. The action starts immediately. Tilly’s mother (unbeknown to the grandparents) whisks the children off to America overnight to go find the archivists. They do some “illegal” book wandering, visit amazing bookstores, visit the library of congress, sneak aboard magical trains, find the alluded to archivists, and that’s only the beginning! Then, they have to save bookwandering for everyone!

There’s evil villains who have taken over the underbrary in London, disappearing books and forgotten memories. Deals are made. And Tilly really discovers the lengths her special book powers can go. It all results in a serious fictional show down in London with not just bookwandering on the line, but also Tilly’s family. I couldn’t put this book down. The suspense was top-notch.

I have also come to love the characters. I love the friendship between Tilly and Oskar. They are a true team. The authors in this book were true heroes! And the frictional characters too are always such a treat to see. The settings are magical also. From London to Washington D.C., to imagination powered train rides, to the famous libraries, this book is a booklover’s paradise. I wish I had this series a kid. It’s the ultimate gift for those who love books. I’m not sure if it’s the last one in the series or not. It felt a bit final to me. I’d be okay if it was, though I’d miss the adventures. I give this one a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment