Monday, March 8, 2021

Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

Summary from Goodreads:

In kindergarten, Jarrett Krosoczka's teacher asks him to draw his family, with a mommy and a daddy. But Jarrett's family is much more complicated than that. His mom is an addict, in and out of rehab, and in and out of Jarrett's life. His father is a mystery -- Jarrett doesn't know where to find him, or even what his name is. Jarrett lives with his grandparents -- two very loud, very loving, very opinionated people who had thought they were through with raising children until Jarrett came along.

Jarrett goes through his childhood trying to make his non-normal life as normal as possible, finding a way to express himself through drawing even as so little is being said to him about what's going on. Only as a teenager can Jarrett begin to piece together the truth of his family, reckoning with his mother and tracking down his father.

Hey, Kiddo is a profoundly important memoir about growing up in a family grappling with addiction, and finding the art that helps you survive.

Review:

This wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. I knew it was going to be a “serious” read because of what it says on the cover about addiction. But, still there’s something so light and fun about this artist’s style that it took me a while to accept the seriousness of it all, if that makes sense. Also, as a Youth Services Librarian, I know of Krosoczka’s other, lighter stories.

That being said, I loved how the author could convey his story this way, as a graphic novel. As we go into 2021, I think we’ll start to see more nonfiction, memoirs, etc. in this format, or at least I hope we will. The author is I believe, first and foremost, an artist. His pictures are just stunning. The way he conveys how a child feels about going to school on his first day, or missing his mother, or going to Disney, all of the emotions is just so heartfelt and honest. He can truly express emotions in his work.

I also didn’t realize that the book would take place in my state, in a town I know! I may have even passed the book along to a non-graphic-novel-reading coworker who grew up in Worcester, MA…I feel like she had to read it. I want to know if she recognizes all the places or not! I can’t wait to talk to her about it.

I’m not sure I’d put this book in the hands of the typical graphic novel reader, but I would in the hands of the right reader. It’s not a light read. There were moments when I had slight tears building up. You really feel bad for Jarrett. But, also, he’s so lucky. He has such a support system in a very large family that not everyone does get. And he has his art. The strongest message throughout it all is that he has his art, pulling him through everything. And of course there’s his large network of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents too. Family is more than who you are born to.

The message is a strong one. The art is just beautiful. And I’m really glad for the bit at the end where the author explains what happens afterward. This wasn’t what I was expecting, but I did really enjoy and appreciate what this was. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment