Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend


Summary from Goodreads:

A cursed girl escapes death and finds herself in a magical world - but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and, worst of all, the curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's then that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most prestigious organization: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart - an extraordinary talent that Morrigan insists she does not have. To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests - or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate.

Review:

This was a lot of fun. I needed a good adventure to read on my mini vacation. I got a little time off at the end of summer, and nothing like a little fantasy adventure to brighten one’s mood! This book has a little bit of everything that makes a good kids fantasy: magic, curses, giant cats, evil villains, crazy competitions, bullies, and fascinating characters. It also mostly takes place in a hotel that reminds me of the one from the Lemony Snicket books.

Morrigan’s family is almost worse than the Dursleys. And as the book goes on, you can’t help but hope for her to succeed above everything. The trials/competition had a bit of a Hunger Games feel to them, mixed with the Tri-Wizard tournament. I know this author read: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library, The Magisterium books, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It also made me think a bit of the show, Gilmore Girls and an important moment with umbrellas. Clearly, Tonsend did her research.

However, this book is definitely its own story. I was fascinated by the world building. The societies, the mythology of Christmas, the hotel that changes as it gets to know you, the talking cat, the constant competitions, and shadows. I was interested in everything. I also was just as nervous as Morrigan about the trials and Jupiter not telling her everything.

I do have to say though that I wasn’t really surprised by much. I read a lot, so none of the twists shocked me. I kind of had the whole thing figured out from about a tenth of the way through. But, I wasn’t actually bothered by this because I was so impressed by everything else. The only time the predictability did bother me was towards the end, but I think this can right itself out in book 2? I want to read book 2 now. I’m glad this book was recommended to me by a couple of people.

All in all this was a lot of fun. I was impressed by the characters and the setting. The author definitely has read her fair share of children’s books and it shows. It was rather predictable, but I mostly wasn’t bothered by it. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment