Tuesday, October 19, 2021

As Good as Dead by Holly Jackson


Summary from Goodreads:


THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING SERIES
The highly-anticipated finale to the A Good Girl's Guide to Murder series, the instant bestsellers that read like your favorite true crime podcast or show. By the end of this mystery series, you'll never think of good girls the same way again...

Pip is about to head to college, but she is still haunted by the way her last investigation ended. She’s used to online death threats in the wake of her viral true-crime podcast, but she can’t help noticing an anonymous person who keeps asking her: Who will look for you when you’re the one who disappears?

Soon the threats escalate and Pip realizes that someone is following her in real life. When she starts to find connections between her stalker and a local serial killer caught six years ago, she wonders if maybe the wrong man is behind bars.

Police refuse to act, so Pip has only one choice: find the suspect herself—or be the next victim. As the deadly game plays out, Pip discovers that everything in her small town is coming full circle . . .and if she doesn’t find the answers, this time she will be the one who disappears. . .

Review:


I DEVOURED this book. I’m so bummed that the series is over now….I think it’s over? The way that this author could connect 3 different cases together was insane. Also, the character growth was remarkable. Poor Pip had serious PTSD after book 2, and who could blame her? But, for the police to not take her seriously again after everything she was correct about before? I was so angry for her. I didn’t blame her for her feelings in this book.

However, this book takes on a whole new level of darkness that I was not expecting. The first half reads like the others in the series, where Pip solves a mystery (and rather quickly because this one involves her). But the second half of the book is about something else entirely, and I feel like I can’t exactly give away what it is here without a HUGE spoiler. Just know that this book is in a definite gray zone when it comes to a moralistic black and white, and I was here for it.

After Pip solves the mystery, that involved stalkers, kidnappings, trophies, and duct tape, the second half of the book is un-put-down-able. I literally told Nick at one point I’d be late for dinner. I couldn’t stop reading. Think about a high suspense morally ambiguous show on Netflix, multiply it times 20, and then add your favorite characters from this series. It was that good.

Again, I can’t really say too much here without giving anything way. Just know that it’s super high suspense and really good. I recommend these books to fans of Truly Devious and E. Lockhart and Courtney Summers. All in all, I give this one a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment