Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Willa of Dark Hollow by Robert Beatty

Summary from Goodreads:

Plunge into an exciting story of history, mystery, & magic from the best-selling author of the Serafina series. Loved by adults and young readers alike, Kirkus Reviews has awarded Dark Hollow the prestigious Kirkus Star, calling it "a captivating, stirring tale of family and friendship.”

The Great Smoky Mountains. 1901. Willa and her clan are the last of the Faeran, an ancient race of forest people who have lived in the mountains for as long as the trees have grown there. But as crews of newly arrived humans start cutting down great swaths of the forest she loves, Willa is helpless to stop them. How can she fight the destroyers of the forest and their powerful machines? When Willa discovers a mysterious dark hollow filled with strange and beautiful creatures, she comes to realize that it contains a terrifying force. Is unleashing these dangerous spirits the key to stopping the loggers? Willa must find a way to save the people and animals she loves and take a stand against an all-consuming darkness that threatens to destroy her world.

Review:


Why am I always surprised by how much I love this author’s books? It took me a hot second to get into this story though. I think this is mostly because I didn’t quickly remember Willa or the storyline of the previous book. And I have to go against the note of the publishing company (on the book) and say this is not really a stand-alone. It’s more of a sequel. It really would be much more enjoyable if you read the first Willa book. I don’t understand why the HUGE need to market it as a stand-alone story? Once I remember the hardships and beauty of book 1, I enjoyed this that much more.

In a weird way, the plot felt like a mixture of Outlander (for kids), Homeward Bound, The Overstory, Native folktales, and FernGully. If any of those things were enjoyable for you, this book will be. The writing is lyrical and pure magic. Wills has her work cut out for her in a world where industry and technology are taking priority over nature and animals. There’s a suspenseful storyline with Willa’s adoptive father being wrongfully accused of murder. There’s some harsh Bambi-is scenes with animals. There’s lots of empathy, adventure, and of course nature.

The forest is almost a character itself, and if you didn’t want visit the Great Smoky Mountains before, you will now. This book is also filled with more hope than the last one (despite some of the critical circumstances). There’s more a sense of family for Willa with the family she chooses, than the harsh one she left behind. I love the dynamic between the sisters (in more way than one). I love the relationship between Willa and the baby bear. There is just so much love in this book, it’s hard to not want to hug it before putting it down .

I can’t really say too much about it with spoiling it, but WOW I was impressed by the ending. It blew me away and shook me. Beatty is a an amazing author and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next. This gets a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment