Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The Heartstopper Yearbook by Alice Oseman


Summary from Goodreads:


The full-colour Heartstopper Yearbook is packed full of exclusive content from the Heartstopper universe - including never-before-seen illustrations, an exclusive mini-comic, a look back at Alice's Heartstopper artwork over the years, character profiles, trivia, and insights into her creative process - all narrated by a cartoon version of Alice herself.

By the winner of the YA Book Prize, Heartstopper is about love, friendship, loyalty and mental illness. It encompasses all the small stories of Nick and Charlie's lives that together make up something larger, which speaks to all of us.

'The queer graphic novel we wished we had at high school.' Gay Times

Review:

So, I wasn’t even sure I was going to read this…It’s not the next volume in the Heartstopper series, but one of those types of side books that I usually think of as extra money-makers for the publishing companies. However,  I ordered it for the library and it looked super cute, and I figured why not? If I hated it, I’d put it down and just keep waiting for the next volume.

I did not hate it. I actually read the whole thing cover to cover in one sitting, unexpectedly. It was actually really nice to get a little back story to everything. I was not with these books from the very beginning, so I actually didn’t know their whole origin story. I learned Nick and Charlie actually first appeared as a couple in a YA novel, and then the author wanted to give them their own story. I learned more about how the author got into creating graphic novels. I learned a lot, generally about how everything came to be in this universe, and it was nice learning this.

Plus, there’s all these bonus comics and illustrations of things I wouldn’t have gotten to see otherwise, like the characters dressed up for Halloween, or celebrating Pride. There’s a few short bonus stories in there too. And everything is in color! Basically, it’s one happy, colorful, enlightening read designed to put a smile on your face.

Would I feel the need to buy it? Probably not. But, am I glad I picked it up and read it? Certainly. It, along with all the Heartstopper books are just a delight to read, and I cannot wait for more. I give this an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment