Monday, February 6, 2023

Greywaren by Maggie Stiefvater

Summary from Goodreads:

This is the story of the Lynch family.

Niall and Mór escaped their homeland for a new start, and lost themselves in what they found.

Declan has grown up as the responsible son, the responsible brother--only to find there is no way for him to keep his family safe.

Ronan has always lived on the edge between dreams and waking... but now that edge is gone, and he is falling.

Matthew has been the happy child, the brightest beam. But rebellion beckons, because it all feels like an illusion now.

This world was not made for such a family--a family with the power to make a world and break it. If they cannot save each other or themselves, we are all doomed.

Review:


It took me a while to get into this story. I think part of it is my age finally catching up to me, and maybe part of it is the last couple of years finally catching up to me, but it’s getting harder to remember where I leave off in series. The book opens with the main character in a sort of coma and I had no recollection for how that happened….I had to go online and get some recaps.  That all being said, once I had more of my footing, and I had some idea for who all of the characters were, the book swallowed me whole.

No-one else writes quite like Stiefvater. She has this stream of consciousness element to her that fits so well with a series that focuses on dreams. And who can not be fascinated with characters who can literally pull objects, creatures, and people out of their dreams? This book finally gives some back-story and some history to the entire process too. We get the story of Niall and More, the story I didn’t know I wanted, but I did. I thought I wanted Ronan/Adam love story and I guess I did, but I also really wanted to know Ronan’s family. Why can they do what they do? What is the extent of what they can do? And this book gets to the heart of everything. Finally.

Throw in some amazing other characters, art heists, an apocalypse, bombs exploding over Boston, tragedy, love stores (plural), an epic action sequence to end all action sequences involving Declan, mythological creatures and a scene that had my jaw on the floor, and a final ending that will melt your heart.

For a book that had me scratching my head in the beginning, it certainly had me on my toes later. Honestly, I just feel lucky to to pick up books by this author. I have grown up reading her, and I hope she continues to write because I will continue to read all that she puts out. i give this a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment