Monday, May 22, 2023

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Summary from Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides—especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.

Review:

Okay, I swear I read other authors too….Sometimes….But, I also had these books, and after binging that last series, I knew I had to read these books too. Also, I love books and tv shows about serial killers, so how on earth have I not read these books yet? The Inheritance Games was a bit hard to believe because it was a dream come true, and now we have another sort of hard to believe series because it literally involves everything I love to read about in one package. Serial killers, suspense, kids/teens with powers, love triangles, murder mystery, cold cases, and a main character who’s family probably has been killed by a serial killer or was at least abducted in the past.

I think I liked this book more than the other ones…And that’s saying something because I seriously loved the others. This book was awesome! And creepy. It kept me up late with its creepiness and I wish it was a Netflix series or a long-running show on the CW because it would be such a fantastic show.

That being said, it reads like a police procedural in a way, but with teenagers trapped in the same house. And I’m all for it. There’s a bit of an X-Men vibe going on because the teens all have these unique abilities that help them solve cases and essentially be super FBI agents. It’s kind of like X-Men mixed with Dexter, mixed with CSI.

Of course the main character’s past comes into the story, but I was fascinated by the other characters’ pasts and you don’t really learn too much about them yet. I want to to know more about everyone and I hope you get that later in the series. Obviously we learn a little about one, who’s the son of a serial killer. All in all, this book was addicting, lots of fun, full of mystery and hard to put down. There’s another love triangle. And it’s there’s more psychological thriller aspects to it than he other books had. I loved it. I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment