Monday, August 13, 2018

A Good Week in books (188)


This may be the only time I’ve ever written one of these posts without receiving any new books for review or purchase. Why am I doing this then? Two reasons. 1: I had to share that I read 4 books this week. It was maybe one of the most stressful workweeks I’ve ever had, so I was a reading frenzy in any spare time. I read one middle grade, two YA contemporaries, and one YA fantasy. 2: I went to Boston Comic Con this past weekend. Actually, I guess they changed the name to Boston Fan Expo….but we all still call it Comic Con. And purchased a bunch of super geeky/bookish related things.
The highlights of this year’s Comic Con for me were: meeting James and Oliver Phelps (the actors who played the Weasley twins in the Harry Potter movies), attending a Buffy the Vampire “Once More with Feeling” live sing-along with the boyfriend, and going to a Q&A panel for Freddie Prinze Jr, with my good friend (and fellow librarian), Casey.
Meeting and getting my photo taken with the Phelps twins was surreal….I asked them to give me bunny ears, and of course they did. They were so polite, and British. And also, they just seemed genuinely kind and excited to be there (for what was day 3 for them). Being in a room filled with Buffy fans singing their hearts out was also pretty surreal. And I guess that’s what makes these cons as special as they are really –being surrounded by people who love the same things you do. And I have to own up to the fact that I was kinda obsessed with Freddie Prinze Jr. when I was a kid. He may have been my first celebrity crush, and I may have had a giant collage of him….It was cool to see how he’s a part of the comic con culture too (with his voice work in Star Wars Rebels and popular video games). And his stories about growing up were surprisingly fascinating and hilarious.
On to the other awesome thing about Comic Con, the shopping! Here’s all the geeky loot I purchased. I also have to mention that I’m super proud of myself for not buying any artwork because Nick and I finally finished getting frames and hanging all the stuff we have already had.


-Free Newbury Comics glass (we were in the right place at the right time for that!)
-Dementor Repellant soap dispenser
-First set of geeky earrings: Pride and Prejudice books, Thomas the Tank Engine, Totoro, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows books
-Photo of me and the Weasley twins!
-Star Wars bathroom hand towels: “I love you,” and “I know.”
-Set of four coasters from four fictional places: Three Broomsticks, Milliways: The Restaurant at the end of the Universe, Upside-down, and Luke’s Diner
-Second set of geeky earrings: R2-D2, Hedwig, and Kiki’s Delivery Service
-Third set of geeky earrings: Harry Potter glasses/lightning bolts and Buffy the Vampire Slayer

How was your week in books?

No comments:

Post a Comment