Wednesday, August 22, 2018

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han



Summary from Goodreads:
Belly has only ever been in love with two boys, both with the last name Fisher. And after being with Jeremiah for the last two years, she's almost positive he is her soul mate. Almost. Conrad has not gotten over the mistake he made when he let Belly go even as Jeremiah has always known that Belly is the girl for him. So when Belly and Jeremiah decide to make things forever, Conrad realizes that it's now or never--tell Belly he loves her, or lose her for good. Belly will have to confront her feelings for Jeremiah and Conrad and face a truth she has possibly always known: she will have to break one of their hearts.
Review:
I read this in one sitting (like I did book 2). But, I did not love it as much as I did the second one. For starters, I hate YA books with teenage weddings….Ick. I’m not really sure that was necessary. Though, I get that a big plot device had to happen to spur the actions of everyone involved.
I also kind of hated Jeremiah in this one. And stuff about his character just seemed so wrong. It felt like the author was really trying so hard to make one boy come off better than the other. And I kind of liked the previous books because there wasn’t one true better guy (there was the social butterfly and the moody one). I liked that it had to be up to Belly. One guy isn’t always going to be a cheating jerk, who drinks too much and doesn’t listen to his partner’s needs. My image of Jeremiah is ruined. Couldn’t Belly have figured out her heart without all the bad stuff in Jeremiah’s corner?
I did love the family dynamics in this one. I found the arguments between mother and daughter to be so true and believable. I loved seeing Belly in college. I loved finally getting Conrad’s point of view. I loved his relationship with Belly’s mom. They have this sentimental moment the day before the wedding that had me practically dry sobbing.
I liked how much further Belly had grown up. I liked her relationship with her best friend and her new friendships she made at school. And I’m not going to lie: I lived for all the moments Belly and Conrad had alone at the beach house. My heart melted at the letters at the end. My heart melted when Conrad laid it all on the table like he did. And my heart melted for Belly, when she finally figured herself out.
This installment was probably the most dramatic. And it certainly focused more on the love triangle than on anything else. I have to say that I love this love triangle. I just wish the author had more faith in her fans for understanding Belly’s final choice. She didn’t have to make one brother as bad as she did.  I give this an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment