Saturday, July 30, 2011

Books to Mark Your Calendar For: What the Rest of 2011 Brings for YA


The books I'm listing here are the ones I'm personally most excited for. They all come out in the next few months (before the end of the year). I will probably make another list at the end of the year, for the books I'm most excited for in 2012. Note that there was one other book that I was going to add to this list (Bitter Blue by Kristin Cashore), but the publication date for it has changed (by 9 months... and I'm not sure what happened there...hopefully everything is okay).
8/23/11 – Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

I’m super excited for this spinoff series of The Vampire Academy books! If you would like to hear more about it from the author, herself, click the Amazon link, and scroll down to the Check Out Related Media section. Amazon
9/6/11 – Vanish by Sophie Jordan


This is the sequel to Firelight, a unique YA book about a girl, who is actually a dragon. It’s very different from the books about teens who can turn into animals. And I’m hoping the sequel is as captivating as book 1 was.

9/20/11 – Goliath by Scott Westerfeld


This is the third in an amazing steampunk YA trilogy. Between the World War I politics, the girl pretending to be a boy to be able to fly, and the royal boy/machine expert escaping for his life, these books are loaded both with wonderful story lines and beautiful artwork. I just wish I was at ALA New Orleans earlier so I could have gotten this ARC…

9/27/11 – Lost in Time by Melissa De La Cruz


I will never quite get enough of these Blue Blood books. They mix the fallen angel folklore with a very interesting, reincarnating group of vampires. The romance, the action, the NY high end fashion, and the excellent character development make these books a series to keep your eye on.

10/11/11 – The Death Cure by James Dashner


The first book in this series, The Maze Runner, shocked me with it’s fast pace dystopian plot, and while the sequel was not as good because frankly, nothing beats the shock value of book 1, it was still a really fun read. And I know this third book promises some answers to my millions of questions. I also have read the first few chapters (courtesy of ALA New Orleans), and let me tell you, my mind is already racing with the awesomeness of this book.

10/18/11 – Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


These books are loaded with magic powers. There are dark mysteries, gothic horror moments, some action packed fight scenes, and some super amazing characters. I’m so ready for this third installment.

10/25/11 – Mastiff by Tamora Pierce


If it were not for Tamora Pierce, my love of YA literature might not even exist. I own every book she has written, every anthology her stories are in, and even I even have her comic! Any way, these high fantasy, mystery books are led by an amazing YA heroine.  And I feel like these books read like a mixture of her other YA books and maybe your favorite episode of SVU.

11/8/11 – Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

 I have been following Eragon for a long time. These books are huge, and not for the reluctant readers, but more for the hardcore fantasy fans. The books are epic, dragon fantasy story at its finest. And I am dying to see how it all comes to an end.

12/6/11 – Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare


I have mentioned Clare’s books over and over in this blog. And I really think this sequel in her spin-off trilogy is going to be some of her best writing. I’m loving the characters in here, and while it works as a prequel to her other series, it can definitely stand alone. Great characters, great story, and great history/explanations for events in her world.  I’m so excited for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment