Monday, December 12, 2011

Books to Mark Your Calendar For: What the beginning of 2012 brings for YA


I’m five books away from my 100 book goal of 2011 (on goodreads). And before 2011 is over, I’m going to list my top 10 books of 2011, and my top 10 favorite dystopias.
I have also gotten a nice haul from Netgalley recently, and plan on reviewing a lot of ARC’s and debut books of 2012. I joined the 2012 Debut Author challenge, which means I plan on reading a lot from new authors next year. And frankly, I’m super excited.
But for the time being, these are the books I absolutely can’t wait much longer for (note that dates sometimes change especially for the books that have the longer waits):
A Million Suns by Beth Revis (1/10/12)

It’s the sequel to Across the Universe, one of my favorite books of 2011. It really was just one of those books I could not stop thinking about, even months after finishing it!
Fever by Lauren DeStefano (2/21/12)

The first one (Wither) was a book I read this year before I started my blog. And it really just shocked me from the first page. I loved the story, the dystopia, the politics, and just everything about this first book. DeStefano dealt with themes common in a lot dystopias now, but unlike other writers, she was not afraid to cross a line. She definitely crossed some boundaries and wrote an amazing story. I’m ready for book 2, which will hopefully be more hopeful?
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver (3/6/12)

So, I only just started book 1 (Delirium), but I already love it. The book would seriously have to take some major bad turns for me to not want to keep going with this series. It’s just such an interesting concept. And while, there’s a lot of commonalities between this one and some other dystopias I’ve read, there’s also something unique about it. And Lauren Oliver totally has my respect.
Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins (3/13/12)

I just love how Hawkins mixes all the supernatural elements and creatures I love. I love the main character, and I’m so ready to pick up right where book two left off!
The Calling by Kelley Armstrong (4/10/12)

So, it’s safe to say I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong. I love all the teen drama that is promised in her books. And she has such an ability for writing supernatural characters who are strong, alone, and intelligent. I loved the ending of book 1 in this series, and it really left me needing to know what happens next!
Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter (4/10/12)

I have only recently gotten to love this series. Hunter’s first two books of the series are reviewed on my blog. And I absolutely love these books. I’m really excited to see the camp be turned into the school. And the love triangle in these books is just so good!
The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting (4/17/12)

I loved this series. I loved the creepiness of it all. And I loved the romance. And I really want to know how the author will end up concluding it.
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (5/1/12)

I really had a hard time believing that I would like Fire more than Graceling when everyone told me this would happen. But I did. If anything Cashore became an even better fantasy writer with her second book. Which, means this third one is promising a lot! The world this author writes about is just so amazing. She’s realatively new to the writing game, but I’m already keeping her on the same shelf as Tamora Pierce. And that is high praise from me! I’m so ready for this one!
Insurgent by Veronica Roth (5/28/12)
 
Divergent
is currently at war for my absolute favorite read of 2011. And it actually won Favorite Book of 2011 on goodreads, beating out both Adult and YA books. It has been a fantastic year for YA books. And it’s been an even better year for YA dystopias. And I really did not think I would ever find a book to compete with The Hunger Games for me, but this one does. I’m dying to read this next book. Is it May yet?
The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead (6/19/12)

Richelle Mead, with her Vampire Academy books, wrote my all time favorite YA vampire series. And while, the first book in this spin-off series, Bloodlines, was not as good as I was hoping, I have such a good feeling about book 2! So much romance seems to be in the works. And I just adore all of Mead’s characters, even the ones I don’t expect to like. Bring it, book 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment