Sunday, September 28, 2014

Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan


Summary (from Goodreads):
Kami has lost the boy she loves, is tied to a boy she does not, and faces an enemy more powerful than ever before. With Jared missing for months and presumed dead, Kami must rely on her new magical link with Ash for the strength to face the evil spreading through her town.

Rob Lynburn is now the master of Sorry-in-the-Vale, and he demands a death. Kami will use every tool at her disposal to stop him. Together with Rusty, Angela, and Holly, she uncovers a secret that might be the key to saving the town. But with knowledge comes responsibility—and a painful choice. A choice that will risk not only Kami’s life, but also the lives of those she loves most.

This final book in the Lynburn Legacy is a wild, entertaining ride from beginning to shocking end.
Review:
Ahhhhh. I don’t even know what to do now that this series is over. As I said on Goodreads, this book and this series is the kind you finish with a big exhale and sloppy smile. And then you feel the need to clutch the book itself to your chest in a weird, youthful book hug, not wanting to ever let it go.  
Unspoken was my favorite book of 2012. Untold was one of my favorites of 2013. And now Unmade is also up there on my list for 2014. Reading this book was just so refreshing. It was like having my first pumpkin spice latte of the fall. It was like a really great phone conversation with my mother. And it was like meeting up with old friends I haven’t seen for a while, but am always wanting to see.
Brennan has character development down. There are few YA writers out there who can write characters like she can. All of the side characters own a piece of my heart. And Kami like is my heart. Then of course is the problematic romance. I love that this defies the YA paranormal romance stereotypes. Nothing is easy for the ship of all ships. And I like that the couple has problems. Things go from one insanely sizzling, button popping scene to moments of pure heartache. And I feel like this is so quintessential teen. This is real. It’s not about finding your soul mate at 16 and never having any problems. It’s about not knowing what the person you’re in love with is thinking (usually). It’s about changing your mind and not always thinking with your mind.
This book definitely gave me a case of the feels. Not everyone survives by the end. It’s definitely a lot darker than it’s previous books. There’s kidnappings, torture, grave digging, public sacrifice rituals, death, and lot of power struggles. There’s also a lot more relationship drama. There’s more danger for Kami’s little siblings. There’s more family drama between Kami’s parents. Yet, through all the drama and all the darkness, the same wit and humor pulled through everything. In fact, I think this was the funniest and snarkiest book of the series.
I found myself laughing out loud one moment, gasping in shock in another moment, crying for a wonderful character at another moment, and just having the full gamut of emotions here. Brennan is the kind of writer who holds the puppet strings to your feelings, and she’s not afraid to pull the strings tight enough to induce pain.
As with the other books, I found the plot/action to be nowhere near as great as the character development, dialog, and drama. Sometimes, I just don’t care as much about the plot as I do about the people, and that’s okay. I definitely care more about the characters in this series than I do for most other fictional characters, and that in itself is saying something. I am so beyond attached to these guys.
I’m so sad the whole thing is over. I’ve actually already gone back and re-read my favorite moments (definitely including the button popping scene!). And now I’m contemplating re-reading some scenes for a third time. The book is sitting right next to me. I don’t really have to say goodbye quite yet. I give this book and this series a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment