Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (133)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that allows bloggers to share which books we are most anticipating.
This week I am waiting on Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein (4/21/15):

Description on Goodreads:
Forget everything you thought you knew about genies!

Azra has just turned sixteen, and overnight her body lengthens, her olive skin deepens, and her eyes glisten gold thanks to the brand-new silver bangle that locks around her wrist. As she always knew it would, her Jinn ancestry brings not just magical powers but the reality of a life of servitude, as her wish granting is controlled by a remote ruling class of Jinn known as the Afrit.

To the humans she lives among, she’s just the girl working at the snack bar at the beach, navigating the fryer and her first crush. But behind closed doors, she’s learning how to harness her powers and fulfill the obligations of her destiny.

Mentored by her mother and her Zar “sisters”, Azra discovers she may not be quite like the rest of her circle of female Jinn . . . and that her powers could endanger them all. As Azra uncovers the darker world of becoming Jinn, she realizes when genies and wishes are involved, there’s always a trick.
Review:
Finally: a genie story! This sounds like it can be amazing. I love the whole story/mythology behind this. Azra sounds awesome too. I already need to know why she’s not quite like the rest of her circle. The cover could be a little more exciting, but I guess I kind of like that it’s very mysterious. Nothing is given away really by the cover.
What are you waiting on this week?

6 comments:

  1. Lori Goldstein is coming to a bookstore near me in April! I am hoping to read it before then and hope I enjoy it. I am excited to see another genie story added to the YA world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really original! I love that! I'm so tired of vampires and werewolves! Lol. Great pick! Adding it to my wishlist! Here's my WOW. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GENIES!!!! I'm with you Nori: FINALLY. It seems super cool to have her be a teen, struggling to come to terms with her already exceptional powers because if genies are rare, I've certainly never come across a teen genie :D Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, adding it to my tbr pile...now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Genies!! The last one I read was The Fire Artist by Daisy Whitney and I loved it. I've been looking for another good book about Jinn. This one sounds very unique, too. Great pick!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this one around and it looks interesting. :)

    Stormi
    WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick. Sounds awesome.
    www.theyaclub.com

    ReplyDelete