Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed by G. Willow Wilson


Description on Goodreads:
Love is in the air in Jersey City as Valentine’s Day arrives! Kamala Khan may not be allowed to go to the school dance, but Ms. Marvel is! Well sort of — by crashing it in an attempt to capture Asgard’s most annoying trickster! Yup, it’s a special Valentine’s Day story featuring Marvel’s favorite charlatan, Loki! And when a mysterious stranger arrives in Jersey City, Ms. Marvel must deal with…a crush! Because this new kid is really, really cute. What are these feelings, Kamala Khan? Prepare for drama! Intrigue! Romance! Suspense! Punching things! All this and more! The fan-favorite, critically acclaimed, amazing new series continues as Kamala Khan proves why she’s the best (and most adorable) new super hero there is! Plus, see what happens when SHIELD agent Jemma Simmons goes undercover at Kamala’s school!
Review:
I continue to be more and more impressed with these comics. I love Kamala. She’s such an awesome teen girl superhero. I love that’s such a normal teen girl, falling for boys and not realizing one of her best friends in love with her. Yet, she’s also the force to be reckoned with. So many things happen to her in this book. She’s messed with, fought, captured, and bossed around. Yet, she doesn’t need to be rescued any more. She fights her way though all of it, and is getting better and better at believing herself.
I like that it takes place in Jersey. And besides the common high school setting, there’s the bodega her friend works at, there’s the mosque her family and her pray in, and there’s all the normal modern-day teen life things that exists in all YA. I also love that all the normal life things keep getting interrupted by various known super heroes and villains. Loki at the Valentine’s dance had me laughing out loud. This book was loaded with humor.
I find Kamala’s normal life just as interesting as her super one. I’m fascinated by her best friend and her brother. I love the snip-bits of Muslim culture. I love that she’s strong and clearly her own person. She’s a comic book nerd and a gamer. And how many superheroes are those things? How many teen girls in books, movies, tv, etc are those things period?
The romance side stories made this a fun volume. I liked that Kamala finally had a crush of her own. And I love that she was able to make up her own mind about him. It was interesting and sad watching her learn that more and more people aren’t who they say they are. And it’s so nice seeing her friendships evolve with other side characters too. It wasn’t all about the romance. The fights with the new super powers in town were interesting too. How many of them are there? I have so many questions.
These comics are smart, funny, brave, and addictive. And I can’t wait for future installments. This was the most entertaining one yet, if not my favorite. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment