Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl # 2: Squirrel You Know It's True by Ryan North


Summary from Goodreads:
The breakout character of 2015 continues her one-woman crusade against injustice and jerks! These TAILS of the Squirrel Girl will show you the Marvel Universe's most powerful super hero from a bunch of brand-new perspectives, several of them QUITE ASTONISHING. COLLECTING: THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL 5-8
Review:
I love these comics. So far, there’s only been two volumes, but I can easily see this becoming a huge series. Aka: I want this to be a huge series, so bad.
The first part was all about these hostages stuck in the Statue of Liberty. One of them was Squirrel Girl’s roommate. She kept trying to calm everyone down by letting them know that Squirrel Girl was on her way. All the hostages had their own (most likely too strange to be real) stories about the super hero.
The rest of the volume is about saving the world from a Norse mythology type apocolypse. Ratatoskr, the evil Norse God of squirrels, is causing all kinds of problems. Thor and Loki come to play in this one! And so do a few new heroes: Chipmunk Hunk and Koi Boi.
The action in this is the standard superhero fare. However, everything in here is hilarious. Between the Twitter feeds with Iron Man, the Dead Pool flashcards, the fan fiction comic: Cat Thor, the evil squirrel, and the witty comments at the bottom of each page, I was pretty much always smiling, if not laughing.
I liked the second part of the book better than the first. The first part was creative and a good way to show that other people have heard of Squirrel Girl, but it just wasn’t as fun as the parts with Thor. I love how involved the roommate character has become. I love that Loki agreed to look like Cat Thor and that we got to see the fan fiction comic, on notebook paper no less.
This is one smart, funny, new super hero. And I’m so glad I found out about it on Goodreads. I recommend it to fans of Ms. Marvel. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment