Monday, October 9, 2017

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 7: Damage Per Second by G. Willow Wilson



Summary from Goodreads:
Civil War II is behind her, and a brand new chapter for Kamala Khan is about to begin! But it's lonely out there for a super hero when her loved ones no longer have her back. It's time for Kamala to find out exactly who she is when she is on her own. Plus: it's election time! Kamala gets out the vote!
Review:
I love Ms. Marvel. Earlier this week, my boyfriend and I were discussing the influx of superhero shows on TV this year and how we both wished that these major networks would talk more to the fans and listen to the shows we would go gaga over. Like instead of 3 shows coming out that all look like similar variations of X-Men, why not something else? The first thing that came to mind when I was asked, who I wanted to see on TV was Ms. Marvel.  Seriously, TV networks, we are tired of the same hero shows! More girl heroes please (and not just in groups with guys heroes, but alone)!
I recommend Ms Marvel all the time to comic, graphic novel, and even manga readers at my library. The fun, modern plot, the Muslim family setting, the girl power and friendships, and even the little inkling of romance in these is just so amazing.
That being said, this might have been my least favorite volume so far. It wasn’t terrible. I just didn’t compare to some of the previous installments. Like always, there were 3 storylines. The first one was about getting people to vote. At first I liked this. I was like, yes! Finally, something that shows the importance of voting in YA! But, then, it got a little too preachy for me. I wanted to read about how voting was important without getting a secret lesson also. And I can see teens feeling this way too.
The second story was more fun. It was about a virus that started in Kamala’s online game. The virus leads to mass cyber-bullying and all kinds of black mail, terror, and kind of plausible destruction. I liked that Kamala had to learn to figure things out on her own (with one phone call to someone who’s noticeably ignoring her). I liked the sense of online friendship in this one, and how strangers (that only know each other from gaming) came together to save the world.
The last story was in Bruno’s point of view, and it involved the Black Panther, which is super cool (especially considering his movie that is coming soon). That being said, his adventure just wasn’t as interesting as any of Kamala’s. The only times I put the book down were during Bruno’s adventures. He just seems too overdramatically angsty. While I appreciate him finally seeming to come to in his story, I also wish this didn’t have to happen so far away from Ms. Marvel.
All in all this volume was fun, fast-paced, and filled with drama. I wasn’t as into Bruno’s journey, as I was Kamala’s. I also didn’t super enjoy being “taught a lesson” about voting in the first part. But the second story, made up for all the down parts of the other two stories. The gaming aspect to it all was so much fun. I give this volume a 7/10. I know the next volume will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment