Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ms. Marvel, Volume 8: Mecca by G. Willow Wilson



Summary from Goodreads:

An enemy from Ms. Marvel's past resurfaces and begins targeting those closest to Kamala. As the world around her is spinning out of control, it becomes clear that this time there's something more sinister at work...Kamala's no stranger to fighting for what's right, but in facing down this challenge, everything she is will be called into question. Not just as a super hero, but as a human being.
Review:
I am a big Ms. Marvel fan. Ms. Marvel has restored my love of comic books. I love the mixture of classic super hero story with YA coming of age drama. And this installment has plenty of this mixture, with the added bonus of present day politics.
There’s a definite an X-Men vibe here with a government group rounding up people with abilities and people who are different. But, there’s also serious current day political events being mirrored –with racism, laws against immigrants, and the theft of human rights. I love how the writers were able to translate this all into comic book form.
And I love Kamala even more for standing up against such hatred. She fights for what’s right, even when it seems as though the whole world is against her. I think she learns a lot about people and herself in this installment. And I’m really hoping this storyline will result in her mending her friendship with Bruno.
I also love the role family plays in Kamala’s story. At first, I felt like they were a plot device used to hold her back, but now, they are the spark that keeps her fiercer. I love their support of her. And I love her relationship with her brother. It’s both sweet and believable with their bickering.
All in all I give this installment an 8/10. It would be higher, but I felt like that one part with the train just took way too long. I love these comics though and I can’t see where the brave writers take things next.

No comments:

Post a Comment