Monday, January 8, 2018

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han



Summary from Goodreads:
Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.
Review:
I am so lucky to read these books with the whole series being out. Waiting between them would have been torture. They are just so good. Jenny Han just has this magical YA writing charisma. Like, I could not put them down or stop looking at them or stop thinking about them. I devoured this second installment in one day. And then I moved on to book 3 immediately.
Currently, I’m going over the events of both books in my head all over again because when you read them like I did, they blend together a bit. I fell so hard for Peter in the events of this book. I loved Lara Jean with Peter. I love how he stood up for her. I love how honest they are with each other. I love their banter. I just seriously shipped them in this book even more than I did in book 1.
This book was also a bit darker than book 1 for me. There was some seriously Veronica Mars type cyber bullying going on that was rather difficult to read about and not cringe over. I may have even shed a tear or two because of it. And I may have shed another tear or two when stuff went downhill for the couple. However, I felt like the downhill element was totally believable, given the situation.
And I know people probably hate him, but I loved John Ambrose McClaren too. The scene with the two of them in the snow was just beyond adorable. I kept thinking of that moment in Beauty and the Beast when the two “lovebirds” are throwing snowballs at each other. He was just so sweet and charming. I love what he added to the story and the confidence boost he gave Lara Jean. I feel like for a long time that Lara Jean just didn’t feel good enough for Peter. She continued to compare herself to his ex. And having the interest of two guys seriously boosted her confidence (as it would for any girl). But, I also know the poor guy just didn’t stand a chance. And I love how honest Lara Jean is to both guys. She tells Peter everything. And John knows it all too.
I also love watching Lara Jean’s and Kitty’s relationship strengthen. I guess this started happening in book 1, but I love where they are at in this book. There’s less bickering and more mutual respect and love. I loved watching the two of them try to find someone for their dad. And I loved getting more of the prodigal daughter’s relationship with everything too. Margot definitely made it interesting.
I also seriously loved the focus on Lara Jean and her best friend Chris. I love their friendship. I love how different they are from one another, but how this doesn’t matter. They have each other’s backs in a way that felt almost sisterly –like Chris is just another Song girl.
I ate this book up like a bag of Cape Cod potato chips (no kidding, those are the best chips in the world). I give it a 10/10. I only wish there was a fourth book to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment