Friday, May 4, 2018

Mini Reviews Round 3: Stalking Jack the Ripper, The Sky is Everywhere, and Obsidio



Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco (3 stars)
Summary from Goodreads:
Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.
Mini Review:
A little disappointing.

Loved the concept. Loved the science. And the forensics.

Not a big fan of the mystery. I called it from the beginning, and kept reading hoping it would be different. It was all so predictable and done before. Also, the main character didn’t seem that believable to me. Her dress, attitude, and mind all seemed too modern for the time -and not in a good way.

Still, it worked as an easy plane book.


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (5 stars)
Summary from Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey.

But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to centre stage of her own life - and suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two boys. One boy takes Lennie out of her sorrow; the other comforts her in it. But the two can't collide without Lennie's world exploding...
Mini Review:
Why did it take me so long to read this one?

I absolutely adored "I'll Give you the sun." That along with the fact that this paperback is all blue, probably were my inspirations for purchasing this book on my last trip to England. I guess I can blame my late-to-the-game reading of it on my lack of vacations. I like to take paperbacks with me on vacation, and I just went to Florida and needed some good ones. I'm so glad I took this with me.

Basically the whole book reads like poetry. It's beautiful. The writing is pure beauty. And more than that, this author knows what grief feels like. I was so beyond connected to the main character and her grief. I've never read a book that tackles grief so well. All the random moments it hits you that you won't get to experience this ever again with this person....Ah... I cried throughout.

I loved the Bronte-esque love story too. There were definite similarities here to the book the Lennie was always reading: Wuthering Heights. I feel like a younger version of myself would not have appreciated this book as much as I do now. Teen me would not have forgiven Lennie for her actions with one boy. But, adult me gets it.

And the side characters and setting were just amazing. I want to go to Gram's garden. I want to see see the bedroom in the woods. I want to talk feminism with her best friend. Even Bailey felt real. They were all real people with real flaws and real love. I feel like I know them all.

I want to re-read this now. And get lost in the beauty of it. Lost in the music of what the characters are feeling. I hope this author writes more. I can't sing this enough praises. 



Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (5 stars)
Summary from Goodreads:
Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza—but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion?

Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys—an old flame from Asha's past—reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict.

With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall, and hearts will be broken.
Mini Review:
What a crazy thrill ride that was! This book is so good, that all my time away from it, was spent thinking about it...

Plot twists galore!

More action than even the past books in the series. More sadness. More crazy AI. More violence. All our favorite characters interacting with each other.

Wow, this book was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment