Sunday, July 8, 2018

Dreamer by L.E, DeLano



Summary from Goodreads:
You’re still you no matter where you go.

Jessa has learned the hard way that traveling to alternate dimensions isn’t all delicious, glittering desserts and fancy parties: it also means accidentally running into people she thought she'd never see again. Still mourning a devastating loss, Jessa isn’t really prepared for the arrival of a reckless version of someone she once loved who is now bent on revenge. Add an increasingly complicated relationship with her best friend Ben, the reappearance of an old enemy, and the threat of the multiverse collapsing, and Jessa’s got a lot on her plate. She may be destined to help save an infinite multitude of worlds… but in the end, all Jessa really wants to do is save her friends.
Review:
I liked book 2 more than book 1. I certainly read it a lot quicker –almost in one sitting. I have to admit though that a plot where the main character has to save the universe is a lot more interesting than a plot where someone is out to get the main character. To be clear, that someone is still out to get Jessa. But, now, she also needs to save everyone.
I also may have thought a certain character who died in book 1 would somehow not be dead in book 2…But, points to the author for actually keeping a loved character down. And having Jessa need to learn how to handle grief on top of saving the worlds.
I love how much darker the story gets too. It’s not about tripping over handbags and wearing corsets any more. It’s about staying ahead of evil and surviving a seriously messed up dystopia version of the world. It’s scary. It went to some awful places in regards to her brother.
I love that both books give a kind of normalcy to autism in a way I don’t really see in YA books yet. Her brother is autistic, and I love Jessa’s very realistic and loving relationship with him. I was so scared for her brother at the end of the book.
This book gave me a little more to think about than the first one did. What if there were thousands of versions of me? What would make us all different, and what would connect us all? I love that Jessa does favors for other Jessa’s who are unlucky enough to live in realities without certain family members. I love that she knows who will be a good friend because she’s friends with them in other worlds. The concept gets a little more complicated and a lot more explained.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. A lot of the clichés I hated about book 1 were gone entirely. The story was more intense. The concept was better explained. And I liked the characters more. I give this one an 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment