Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Sherwood by Meagan Spooner



Summary from Goodreads:
Robin of Locksley is dead.

Maid Marian doesn’t know how she’ll go on, but the people of Locksley town, persecuted by the Sheriff of Nottingham, need a protector. And the dreadful Guy of Gisborne, the Sheriff’s right hand, wishes to step into Robin’s shoes as Lord of Locksley and Marian’s fiancé.

Who is there to stop them?

Marian never meant to tread in Robin’s footsteps—never intended to stand as a beacon of hope to those awaiting his triumphant return. But with a sweep of his green cloak and the flash of her sword, Marian makes the choice to become her own hero: Robin Hood.
Review:
This was not what I was expecting. I was thinking I’d jump right into a political, high suspense action story…And this actually really just started right off as a depressing tragedy. The beginning was really sad and slow, and honestly, a little hard to get through. I almost gave up on this book entirely. But, I’m glad I didn’t. It seriously picked up in the second half. If this was a first time published author, I feel like the editor would have told them to start the story much later. Start at the high stakes moment, and rewind a little if you need to. There were a few rewound moments on top of this slow start. Though, the moments of Marian and her first love did help me understand how she was feeling better.
Once Marian is at court, the story really picks up with prison rescues, guard deceptions, spy missions, and plots to save the poor and hungry. I love the idea of a girl Robin Hood. And I guess, that idea is what kept me reading through the slow beginning. I loved watching the myth get started. And I love the idea that a woman could have inspired such a legend.
I love that Marian is always rescuing men. I love that no one ever believes it to be her under the hood. How could a woman do all those things? I love her relationship with her father and her maid. I love the rivalry that develops between her and Guy of Gisborne. There’s something so classic about their relationship. It makes me want to go and re-watch old versions of this story.
I did not love the romance. It really caught me off guard. I tend to love the trope that involves hate turned to love, but this one felt off. All of a sudden, there was a mutual respect and an attraction. I just didn’t feel it. I liked the twist of it all. And I liked being surprised by a few things (particularly at the end), but even thinking about the relationship now, creeps me out.
All in all, I’m glad I kept reading. The plot picked up a lot in the second half. I love the adventures and suspense of everything. I loved the side characters. I loved having a lady Robin Hood. I did not love the romance element. And I did not love the very sad beginning. I give this a 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment