Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater



Summary from Goodreads:
The dreamers walk among us . . . and so do the dreamed. Those who dream cannot stop dreaming – they can only try to control it. Those who are dreamed cannot have their own lives – they will sleep forever if their dreamers die.

And then there are those who are drawn to the dreamers. To use them. To trap them. To kill them before their dreams destroy us all.


Ronan Lynch is a dreamer. He can pull both curiosities and catastrophes out of his dreams and into his compromised reality.

Jordan Hennessy is a thief. The closer she comes to the dream object she is after, the more inextricably she becomes tied to it.

Carmen Farooq-Lane is a hunter. Her brother was a dreamer . . . and a killer. She has seen what dreaming can do to a person. And she has seen the damage that dreamers can do. But that is nothing compared to the destruction that is about to be unleashed. . . .
Review:
I don’t know why I was weirdly hesitant to start this book. Maybe I felt like I really said goodbye to the characters of the Raven Cycle and I wasn’t prepared to enter back into this dark, magical world yet. Or maybe I knew this would be a little tough to read because Ronan was a little tough to read. Or maybe I was just in denial. This book was everything. Maggie Steifvater is a genius.
She somehow combines a tragic love story, with top-notch family drama, supernatural darkness of epic proportions, art, heists, fairy markets, nightmares, and creatures and places I haven’t even begun to understand yet alone have ever seen before. They say all stories are basically taken from stories that have already been told. I feel like everything Stiefvater writes is something that has never been done before. She shocks me in her ingenuity. Even in a genre (paranormal romance) where I have read each trope before and there are millions of tropes, this just reads as new.
I was hooked from page one. I was even hooked on the characters I didn’t think I’d like (aka: the new ones). I was fascinated by the new characters and glad to have some more females in the story. I’m also so interested in learning about the dreams. There’s so much to what Ronan can do that I don’t even think he knows yet. And I can’t wait to read about him discovering it.
And then there’s Adam! Ahhh. I love the love story! I ship them so hard. All the mistakes and awkwardness and moments in Boston were just pure gold. Also amazing were the texts with a certain favorite character from the series before. I definitely recommend reading the Raven Cycle books first. This one won’t make that much sense without the knowledge given in the previous books.
The suspense in this book is amazing. The stakes are high. Everything is life or death. And I loved every second of it. This author is a master at tying all the little pieces together, and I cannot wait to see where everything goes. I cannot wait for the next one. This gets a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment