Monday, February 28, 2022

5 Worlds: The Emerald Gate by Mark Siegel, Alexis Siegel, Xanthe Bouma, Matt Rockefeller, and Boya Sun

Summary from Goodreads:

Oona and her friends face their ultimate challenge in the final installment of the graphic sci-fi fantasy series that's Star Wars meets Avatar: The Last Airbender!

In the epic conclusion to the 5 Worlds series, the final battle looms as Oona, Jax, and An Tzu travel to the treacherous world of Grimbo (E)! There, Oona must light the last beacon to save the 5 Worlds, but first she has to find it! When Jax saves an old friend, Oona is given a clue to the green beacon's location.

Unfortunately, the journey to lighting it on this strange, watery planet is the most dangerous yet. Meanwhile, Stan Moon has one more trick up his sleeve as his frightening powers and mysterious connection to An Tzu continue to grow. How can Oona ever hope to beat him? Can she count on her friends or will a terrible betrayal mean the 5 Worlds will be lost to evil forever?

Review:

These books are so good. I’m trying to remember how I stumbled upon the first one, years ago. But, I can’t recall what drew me to it. I’ll have to look up my review. It doesn’t really matter though. Over time, these books not only hold up; they improve. The character development, the world building, the stunning artwork, and the layered adventurous plot all make for one remarkable series.

I was not disappointed in the last installment. I guess I’m just disappointed that it’s over….There were a few things I saw coming, but there were some classic sci-fi tropes here, so it was hard for me not to see where the book was going. That being said, there was one shocking component for me at the very end that really impressed me. I wish I had friends or a book club or something who has read all these books, so I could go into detail  with someone about this ending!

This last book is the kind of last book that will have you gasping in shock, smiling with success, and cheering for your friends. It will also make you want to go back to the beginning and read them all over again. So, I guess it doesn’t get too much better. The writers have really developed  well thought out worlds with various cultures, religions, peoples, sports, and plant life. These books would make a fantastic tv show.

All in all, I highly recommend these books to graphic novels fans, particularly to fans of the Amulet series. But, also, I can see these books appealing to fans of Star Wars, Avatar the Last Airbender, and just any really fun adventure story reader really. I give this last one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment