Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Return to Roar by Jenny McLachlan


Summary from Goodreads:


The imaginary world they created has been waiting for them to come back.

Twins Arthur and Rose created the magical world of Roar when they were very young, and until recently, they’d all but forgotten it exists. But when the villain who still haunts their nightmares kidnaps their grandfather, Roar becomes part of their lives again.

When the twins go back to Roar for their first visit after rescuing Granddad, they soon discover there’s no time to explore—Crowky, the villain, is poised to destroy their world, using a weapon that brings their deepest fears to life. Arthur and Rose must use all their courage and travel to the End of Roar to confront Crowky and save the world they built.

This enchanting, action-packed novel is the sequel to The Land of Roar, a bestseller in the UK, and is perfect for readers who’ve always dreamed of exploring Narnia and Neverland.

Review:

Not enough people love these books. They are special. For all the kids who grew up, creating their own make-believe worlds, dreaming Narnia and Oz could maybe happen to them. Reading this sequel was like returning to the world I made up as a kid, and remembering the imagination I have put aside for grocery lists, and credit card statements, and student loans. There’s something so pure about this book that you almost forget you are an adult for a few minutes, and really do escape reality while reading it.

It wasn’t quite as engrossing for me as book 1, plot-wise. However, the character development was stronger. I really feel like I’m getting to know the twins and even the side characters better. Maybe the bullying plot arc is just not doing it for me any more, or maybe I was hoping for some bigger twist than the one I got? I did think the writer, wrote the fears of the kids exceptionally well. And Rose was definitely believable. I can see her being more afraid of something more tangible as she got older.

On the fantasy side of things, the book did not disappoint. It had a Neverland feel. There were mermaids, unicorns, dragons, pirates, boxes that turned up your worst fears, bears that ran hotels, scarecrows who wanted more than they should, and so much more. If you are a reader of children’s literature, you can find little references to so many classics: Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, etc. But, it’s also clearly it’s own story.

I think Book 3 is about to come out, and I know I will have to read the conclusion to the series. I need to know how it all resolves. I’m almost kind of inspired too to go back to a world I created as a child and maybe write something down. I give this a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment