Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Amari and the Great Game by B.B. Alston

Summary from Goodreads:

Sequel to the New York Times bestseller Amari and the Night Brothers!
Artemis Fowl meets Men in Black in this magical second book in the New York Times and Indie bestselling Supernatural Investigations trilogy—perfect for fans of Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky, the Percy Jackson series, and Nevermoor.

After finding her brother and saving the entire supernatural world, Amari Peters is convinced her first full summer as a Junior Agent will be a breeze.

But between the fearsome new Head Minister’s strict anti-magician agenda, fierce Junior Agent rivalries, and her brother Quinton’s curse steadily worsening, Amari’s plate is full. So when the secretive League of Magicians offers her a chance to stand up for magiciankind as its new leader, she declines. She’s got enough to worry about!

But her refusal allows someone else to step forward, a magician with dangerous plans for the League. This challenge sparks the start of the Great Game, a competition to decide who will become the Night Brothers’ successor and determine the future of magiciankind.

The Great Game is both mysterious and deadly, but among the winner’s magical rewards is Quinton’s last hope—so how can Amari refuse?

Review:

There were only a few books I was actually anticipating so much this year that I wrote their release dates in my calendar. This was one of the 3. But, with anticipation, comes that slight smidgen of dread too. How can this book possibly live up to book 1? And also, I think this pub date was passed back a bit because I initially had a different date written down…that or I wrote it down wrong in my high anticipation, which is possible.

Needless to say, there was no need for dread. This sequel was everything. This series kind of came out of nowhere for me. It shocked me in how awesome it was with book 1. And this sequel just blew me away. It was so good, I found myself counting down my minutes at work so I could get home and read some more. And work was busy. It’s not like I have a lot of down time. I even found myself talking about it to patrons.

This sequel has all of the suspense and magic of book 1, but with it, the stakes are higher. Amari knows more. There are other magicians out there. She knows what she’s capable of. She knows the importance of good friends. And she knows she can survive the prejudice and (lets face it) racism that persisted through all of book 1. She knows she’s stronger than the weak-mindedness of some of her pears, and what looks like her new leaders.

The magical congress is frozen in this one. And I like that it’s not all about summer camp any more. It’s everyone. It’s the government and world leaders. I like the use of social media to alert people to her cause. I like the new friendships that are formed (even from old enemies). I liked how much growth happened for the characters, not just Amari. These characters learn from their mistakes and take what they learn with them. I loved the secondary magic Amari was trying to master. So much is at stake here and when Amari realizes that only she can prevent things from going in a really bad direction, she steps up to the plate.

I loved this book. It was so hard to put down. I might have even liked it more than book 1, which I didn’t even think was possible. There’s also the ending. What a crazy cliffhanger. If I ever doubted for a second that this was going to be trilogy, there is no doubt any longer. What a great opening for one more book. I cannot wait for book 3. I highly recommend these books to fans of Nevermoor and Keeper of the Lost Cities. Definitely 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment