Monday, September 19, 2022

Crumbs by Danie Stirling


Summary from Goodreads:


Falling in love just got sweeter in this charming, romantic YA graphic novel from WEBTOON, the #1 digital comic platform. Ray, a young seer struggling with her powers, discovers first love and friendship in her town's magic bakery.

In a very special town, there’s an even more unusual bakery with a selection of baked treats hand-crafted to help your dreams come true. For Ray, a quiet young woman with special powers of her own, the order is always the same: a hot tea with a delicious side of romance.

When Ray meets Laurie, the kind barista who aspires to be a professional musician, she gets a real taste of love for the first time. But even with a spark of magic, romance isn’t so simple. Both Ray and Laurie are chasing their own dreams and even when Ray starts to see the future, she can’t predict her fate with Laurie.

Based on the beloved webcomic from WEBTOON, this sweet coming-of-age story of friendship and first love comes to life in graphic novel format with gorgeous illustrations and exclusive content.

Review:

I really enjoyed reading this one, mostly because the art was just so stunning. The story definitely felt more Japanese anime than American YA. And at first, I was all here for it, but then I was a little unhappy with the drama of it all and kind of confused by everyone’s ages, if that makes sense….The romance is just so innocent and pure for two adults. I don’t think they are teens. Ray is applying for a job in what seems like the magical equivalent to the CIA. This is so cool, by the way.

But, the romance is so sweet and cutesy, and there’s nothing beyond hand-holding and kisses. Maybe something is sort of alluded to in one scene when the characters spend the night, but one character wakes up on the couch….So, again, the age of everyone seems a little confusing.

The world though…Everyone seems to have a little bit of magic. The main mode of transport is broomstick. And there are bakeries where can you can buy romance flavored cakes. Sign me up! I loved the idea of this. I really enjoyed the characters. And did I mention the art? It feels like the adult/teen equivalent to Smile  or Drama by Raina Telgemeier -the characters being bold, with realistic expressions, but with somewhat cutesy shows of emotions too.

The storyline felt sweet at first, and then it took a little downturn for me. I almost wish the memory thing wasn’t there, and it could have just been a romance without this detrimental blockage to things progressing forward. I liked the parts of their relationship that seemed like everyone’s relationships. No one is perfect. They didn’t need crazy laws to mess it up. I also felt like the pacing was slow and unique, and then it all sped up too fast at the end.
However, I read it quickly, and I’m still going gaga over the artwork. I hope this artist does more. All in all, I was impressed. I give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment