Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (64)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that allows bloggers to share which books we are most anticipating.
This week I am waiting on Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy (3/18/14):

Description from Goodreads:
What if you’d been living your life as if you were dying—only to find out that you had your whole future ahead of you?

When sixteen-year-old Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, her prognosis is grim. To maximize the time she does have, she vows to spend her final months righting wrongs—however she sees fit. She convinces her friend Harvey, whom she knows has always had feelings for her, to help her with a crazy bucket list that’s as much about revenge (humiliating her ex-boyfriend and getting back at her arch nemesis) as it is about hope (doing something unexpectedly kind for a stranger and reliving some childhood memories). But just when Alice’s scores are settled, she goes into remission.

Now Alice is forced to face the consequences of all that she’s said and done, as well as her true feelings for Harvey. But has she done irreparable damage to the people around her, and to the one person who matters most?

Julie Murphy’s SIDE EFFECTS MAY VARY is a fearless and moving tour de force about love, life, and facing your own mortality.

Why I’m Waiting:
So, I know I have said that I’m so tired of books about kids/teens in the hospital. (No one can write it like John Green can write it though…) However, this one sounds so different. I love that part of the story is revenge. Sometimes books/stories like these can be a little too tear inducing/do-good-y, but by adding the whole getting-back-at-her-ex thing, I have lots of hope that the main character will be believable and interesting. I love the way the romance with the best friend character sounds. I love that the main character will most likely have to deal with the consequences of all that she thought she wouldn’t have to. It just sounds like such a wonderful idea for a YA book. Also, I find the cover adorable.
What are you waiting on this week?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pick! This one is on my long TBR pile :)

    My WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-wednesday-alienated/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding it! Sounds sooo good! I agree with your John Green comment! He's truly a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this for the first time a few weeks back but I'm still on the fence whether it is something I'd read or not. I think I just don't want to see a book filled with the main character apologizing *shrug*

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete