Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (122)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that allows bloggers to share which books we are most anticipating.
This week I am waiting on The Marvels by Brian Selznick (2015):

Description:
Caldecott Award winner and bookmaking trailblazer Brian Selznick once again plays with the form he invented and delivers a moving and mesmerizing adventure about the power of story. Two seemingly unrelated stories -- one in words, the other in pictures -- come together with spellbinding synergy! The illustrated story begins in 1766 with Billy Marvel, the lone survivor of a shipwreck, and charts the adventures of his family of actors over five generations. The prose story opens in 1990 and follows Joseph, who has run away from school to an estranged uncle's puzzling house in London, where he, along with the reader, must piece together many mysteries. How the picture and word stories intersect will leave readers marveling over Selznick's storytelling prowess. Filled with mystery, vibrant characters, surprise twists, and heartrending beauty, and featuring Selznick's most arresting art to date, The Marvels is a moving tribute to the power of story.
Why I’m Waiting:
2 reasons: 1) It’s another Brian Selznick book. 2) The cover.  Is that not the most gorgeous cover you have seen in a long time? I adored The Invention of Hugo Cabret. And then I fell in love (love not even being a strong enough word choice) with Wonderstruck. And yes, there might be a couple more works by this author that I have not read yet, but still. There’s something about how he mixes the mediums of words and art, and manages to tell separate stories in just the artwork that is so unique. It’s kind of like those picture books I love that have no words –which are great for early literacy; these middle grade books are kind of like a whole new kind of literacy for the more mature brain. They are art and they are beautiful. And I cannot wait to read this one.
What are you waiting on this week?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! This sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing it!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delayed visit, what with work and holiday craziness I'm only catching up now! I STILL haven't read anything by Brian Selznick, BUT, both of the ones you mentioned are on my tbr shelf.I even own a copy of Hugo Cabret :D This sounds just as wonderful to me as those did (and I LOVE that cover) Thanks for bringing this one to my attention! I hope you get it soon and I'll be adding it to my tbr shelf as well haha! Cheers x

    ReplyDelete