Friday, December 18, 2015

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days by Willow Wilson



Summary on Goodreads:
From the moment Kamala put on her costume, she's been challenged. But nothing has prepared her for this: the last days of the Marvel Universe. Lucky she's got the help of Carol "Captain Marvel" Danvers! Between teaming up with her personal hero to rescue her brother and trying to keep her city from falling into an all-out frenzy, Kamala has barely had time to come to terms with the face that the world is literally collapsing around her. But the truth will catch up to her, and soon. When the world is about to end, do you still keep fighting? Kamala knows the answer. Let's do this, Jersey City.
Review:
These are the comic books I’ve come to compare all others too. Though, nothing is quite as good. I’ve picked up the occasional comic book or graphic novel in the past, but seriously reading these has made me want to read so many more. I have been reading more. I guess before I was never fully able to see myself in comic book characters. And while, on the superficial side of things I’m nothing like Kamala, I related to her on so many metaphorical layers.
Kamala is every self conscious teenage girl. She felt real. If she was real, I’d want to be best friends with her. I love having a non-sexualized girl hero. I love how “normal” she is. I also love how geeky she is. She knows everything there is to know about all the heroes in the Marvel Universe. And she fangirls out every time she meets one of them.
She learns from her mistakes. I love that she’s still picking up the pieces from her misplaced crush of the previous book. She knows what she did wrong. Oh, and I love her relationship with her family. I’m glad this volume focuses on family a bit more. I also love the storyline. I mean come on, it’s the end of the world…
Secrets come out in this one. Kamala’s brother is kidnapped and she of course goes to recue him. One of the moments I’ve been waiting for since book 1 finally comes to pass. And I guess when it’s the end of the world, people want to tie up loose ends, admit to secrets, and resolve feuds.  In a way this read like part comic book, part coming of age story, and part dystopia. What’s not to like about that?
I think this was my favorite comic yet. I can’t wait to see what happens next. I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment