Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A Question of Holmes by Brittany Cavallaro



Summary from Goodreads:
The fourth book in the New York Times bestselling Charlotte Holmes series!

Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson think they’re finally in the clear. They’ve left Sherringford School—and the Moriartys—behind for a pre-college summer program at Oxford University. A chance to start from scratch and explore dating for the first time, while exploring a new city with all the freedom their program provides. But when they arrive, Charlotte is immediately drawn into a new case: a series of accidents have been befalling the members of the community theater troupe in Oxford, and now, on the eve of their production of Hamlet, they’re starting all over again. What once seemed like a comedy of errors is now a race to prevent the next tragedy—before Charlotte or Jamie is the next victim.
Review:
This is what I said on Goodreads, just as I finished this book: These books are everything. I have loved them from the beginning. I’m a Sherlock fan, and a long ago English major, who enjoys nothing more than sinking into a good story. I love these stories -and through them, I love these characters. There’s something so classic, so Arthur Conan Doyle-like in the writing and mystery. And add to that some unbelievably amazing YA character development and you have these remarkable books. I loved this ending. It felt believable and honest. I’m so glad to have found these books.
This particular installment was special. It was all in the point of view of Charlotte. Don’t get me wrong; I love Jamie. I seriously have a gigantic book crush on Jamie Watson. However, being in the head of a female Sherlock was just pure magic. Watching her brain work and understanding why she views things the way she does is just unbelievable. I actually feel like a more logical thinker after reading this than when I started. This book makes you feel like you can solve crimes too.
I also got to see just how much Charlotte cared for Jamie. I knew she did. And Jamie knew she did. But, it’s not just the simple crush and barely there tolerance I was expecting. It was deep. I finally felt like Charlotte was deserving of the unbelievable Jamie. I loved watching them attempt dating. I loved watching them work together, and communicate without words. These two are just everything a shipping heart will need. Yet, also this book doesn’t have a ton of romance. A lot of their relationship is super innocent –it has to be to get Charlotte where she needs to go. And Jamie is there and patient for all of it, as always.
There’s a fun murder mystery involving the theater, and it worked for Charlotte like I imagine holding a cigarette works for smokers. It gave her something to do, something to focus on besides her building relationship with Jamie and all the big decisions approaching about her future. The mystery wasn’t particularly a hard one. But, it worked as the background Charlotte needed to have. And it allowed the readers to see how Charlotte did it. And I’m not sure this would have been accomplished with a tougher to solve mystery.
I loved the Oxford backdrop too. The setting was both interesting and calm. It had the mystery Charlotte needed as well as the healing calmness that just wouldn’t have been there in London. All in all, there’s not much I can think to say against this story. The characters were unbelievably strong. The mystery was okay, but it accomplished what it needed to. I loved getting a glimpse into the magical, logical Sherlock brain. I love Jamie and Charlotte together. I give this a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment