Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10: Time and Again by Willow Wilson



Summary from Goodreads:
Kamala Khan continues to mix super-heroic adventure with fun and friendship! Starting with... a slumber party! But if calamity strikes Jersey City while Kamala is having a sleepover with Nakia, Zoe and Mike, how can Ms. Marvel save the day without bailing on her best friends?

And speaking of BFFs, Bruno is back — and he and Kamala are learning how to be pals again. What better bonding experience than geeking out over a little science? And what better experiment to run than trying to figure out how Ms. Marvel's powers work?

But when things go awry and with her uncanny abilities on the fritz, Kamala will have to pull it together to battle a classic Marvel villain!

The next big step for Kamala Khan begins here!
Review:
As I said on Goodreads, I’ve been DNF’ing a lot of books lately. So, it was nice to actually love something again. I loved this one. I love Ms. Marvel, and I feel like this character has grown so much by this installment. I can’t wait to see where this goes.
I didn’t realize until just now that this was Wilson’s last one. I have nothing but incredible respect for this writer that brought to us a YA, Muslim girl superhero. It has been a pleasure to read Kamala’s story. I liked the full circle element to this installment and it did read like there was some finality to it. I guess this is why. I’m happy to know that Kamala’s story will go on, but with different writers. I’m not sure I’ll still love it after the writing change, but I’m so grateful for the day I picked up issue 1.
This one had the help of Rainbow Rowell in the writing process, and this was clear in the first half of the installment. I loved everything about the slumber party, and about Kamala finally “coming out” to her friends as Ms. Marvel. I loved how her friends responded. This part of the story had so much heart and so much everything I love about YA stories. It felt like a mini YA novel, with just the right amounts of humor, love, coming of age, and suspense. This is what drew me to this story to begin with, and I’m glad Wilson ended her writing with it too.
The second half felt more like classic Ms. Marvel, with the villain and the action. However, it was also all about Bruno. He and Kamala finally have a true chance to reunite. There are some definite shipping moments between them, but also some fantastic friendship moments. I like that stuff with him is a bit open-ended, but I also love that their relationship just reads so much healthier, and it looks like it’s all heading in the right direction. There were some things with the villain that read a bit confusing to me. But overall, I really enjoyed this bit too.
I give this a 10/10. I love Ms. Marvel. I love the friendship stories, the romance, the coming of age, the Muslim culture, the family drama, and the super hero action. I hope the new writer(s) do her character justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment