Monday, November 9, 2020

Keeper of the Lost Cities 2: Exile by Shannon Messenger

Summary from Goodreads:

Sophie Foster thought she was safe. Settled into her home at Havenfield, surrounded by friends, and using her unique telepathic abilities to train Silveny--the first female alicorn ever seen in the Lost Cities--her life finally seems to be coming together.

But Sophie's kidnappers are still out there. And when Sophie discovers new messages and clues from the mysterious Black Swan group, she’s forced to take a terrifying risk—one that puts everyone in incredible danger.

As long buried secrets rise to the surface, it’s once again up to Sophie to uncover hidden memories—before someone close to her is lost forever.

In this second book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, Sophie must journey to the darkest corners of her luminous world in a sequel that will leave you breathless for more.

Review:

I’m so glad I splurged for my birthday and just bought all these books. I was a little surprised by how long the books were, but also secretly happy. This one was 568 pages, and it looks like they only get longer! They are so addicting. And also, this one has a flying unicorn…take all my money, books.

I don’t think I enjoyed this sequel as much as the first one. Not as much transpired plot-wise as did in the first book. And, it was a lot more predictable for me. However, I loved that my least favorite character, Sophie’s crush, was pretty much MIA for the whole book. He really annoyed me in book 1. And my annoyance grew to hatred in book 2. I could not believe how awful he was. Again, Sophie forgives him everything!

Any way, I got to know other characters better. I have to say that I love Keefe. I also love the best friend character, Dex. Though, I find his powers a little convenient. I also got to know Sophie’s new family a little better. And the world a little better. I found the first half of the book to be a little slow. There’s a lot of build up about Sophie’s light-inspired headaches, and trying to impress the tribunal with training the unicorn (aka: alicorn). But, the book definitely picks up in the second half with secret missions, codes left behind by the Black Swan, lessons in the elite tower, weird choreographed elf dances, and flying adventures, etc.

At some point I came to the realization that this author has definitely read all of the books I have read. It’s like she’s combined elements of J.K. Rowing, Tamora Pierce, Rick Riordan, and even Stephenie Meyer, and morphed it all into this modge podge fantasy of everything. I didn’t love this as much as book 1, but I’m hooked now. And I can’t wait to keep reading the series. I give this one a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment