Monday, May 5, 2014

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Summary (from Goodreads):
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?

And will they even be together?
Review:
This one was my definite favorite so far. This series has gone from teen paranormal territory to sci-fi, and now to sort of a dystopia-type genre. The romance is still there; there has always been a strong emphasis on romance, which is fine by me.
I read this book in practically one sitting. There aren’t many books that can interrupt my Breaking Bad binge-a-thon I have going on, and this one definitely slowed down my tv intake. I sort of believed though that this was supposed to be the last book in the series, and I was both surprised and grateful to learn that it’s not the conclusion. Armentrout is fantastic with cliffhangers.
I think I liked this one the best because there was a lot more action in it. Katy is really tested, torn apart, and pushed to her limits here. And I love how strong she has become! It wasn’t so hard to have her apart from Daemon as I thought it would be. I liked kind of getting to know her better separate from her guy. And I also liked all the chapters in his point of view too.
The alien/hybrid/origin storyline serious took off here, and I found all the scary government experimenting to be fascinating. I had no idea that this was where the story would end up going, and frankly I loved every second of it. I do so wish that Katy’s mom could have been allowed in the loop because she must be so upset. Though, I get why this couldn’t have really happened. I loved the incorporation of media in the big picture. And I loved how far the aliens were willing to go to maintain their freedom.
There’s more death, lots of more action, plenty of sizzling romance, an interesting/new plot arc, an introduction of origins (kids born from one alien parent and one hybrid parent), secret government torture facilities, stealing, escaping, chasing, and surviving. This book seemed to literally have everything. And wow, that was one crazy ending. Like I said before, this is my favorite in the series so far. I just found it to be one fun, fast, and amazing read. It gets a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment