Monday, July 18, 2016

The Trials of Apollo Book 1: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan



Summary from Goodreads:
How do you punish an immortal?

By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disorientated, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favour.

But Apollo has many enemies - gods, monsters and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.
Review:
I’ve been so excited to get started with this book. I learned of its existence way ahead of the game. Riordan talked about it on his first tour stop for the first Magnus Chase book. I remember it seeming like some faraway dream of a book, but also just hilariously amazing. Thankfully, my dreams that started so long ago did no disappoint.
This is the kind of book you wish for all your favorite authors to write. It’s a book that continues some serious past series plotlines with some of the best characters, but also brings in a side character you were never expecting. This side character happens to be a conceited, snobbish, poetry-writing God. And I can honestly say I never gave much thought to Apollo gaining his own series or even playing such a major role in things. I’m so glad he’s important now though. So, so glad.
It’s unbelievably gratifying to see a stuck up character getting his just-desserts. This is karma at it’s best. Apollo as mortal was not only satisfying to read about, but it was downright hilarious. I haven’t laughed out loud this much from a book in a very long time. This definitely constituted as a book I shouldn’t read in public because all my laughter would embarrass me.
I thought Percy was funny. Apollo’s fresh, sarcastic, egotistical perspective on life puts Percy’s humor to shame. And when the two characters are together? It’s priceless.
Every chapter starts with one of Apollo’s haikus! Every haiku was fantastic. I want to write each one down and save them for times where I’m in need of a good smile. I liked the new character, Meg too. I want to know so much more about her and I’m hoping things work out well with her in book 2. I also loved that this book didn’t waste time in the build-up. The action starts immediately. A war is brought to Camp Half Blood in book 1! I’m slightly worried book 2 will not be able to live up to this one’s level of epic.
I found the plot line with oracles to be really interesting. I never gave too much thought to their importance and necessity. I guessed the big plot twist early on; however, I have read so many Rick Riordan books that I would be disappointed in myself if I didn’t. I love the weapons in this book. I love the way Apollo gets out of sticky situations. And I loved all the reunions with old friends.
This book was pure joy. I’m sad I read it so quickly. I want to go back and laugh some more. Rick Riordan is a genius. I give this a 10/10.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm SO happy that this delivered for you Nori! if there's anything Riordan can do brilliantly, it's humor. I always laugh the most with his books and I'm glad this this is no exception :D I can't wait to dive into this^^

    ReplyDelete