Wednesday, October 9, 2019

This Was Our Pact by Ryan Andrews



Summary from Goodreads:
Ryan Andrews's This Was Our Pact is an astonishing, magical-realist adventure story for middle-grade readers.

It's the night of the annual Autumn Equinox Festival, when the town gathers to float paper lanterns down the river. Legend has it that after drifting out of sight, they'll soar off to the Milky Way and turn into brilliant stars, but could that actually be true? This year, Ben and his classmates are determined to find out where those lanterns really go, and to ensure success in their mission, they've made a pact with two simple rules: No one turns for home. No one looks back.

The plan is to follow the river on their bikes for as long as it takes to learn the truth, but it isn't long before the pact is broken by all except for Ben and (much to Ben's disappointment) Nathaniel, the one kid who just doesn't seem to fit in.

Together, Nathaniel and Ben will travel farther than anyone has ever gone, down a winding road full of magic, wonder, and unexpected friendship*.

*And a talking bear.
Review:
As I brought up on Goodreads: This story was so strange...but there’s also this classic quality to it, like there’s a Huckleberry Finn feel -2 boys following a river, going on an adventure. It’s also weirdly innocent and made me think of the movie, Ponyo. Above all else, the art is magnificent. Like I’d frame some of the pictures and hang them in my bedroom, beautiful. I’m giving it 4/5 stars because it was just stunning and the art really told the story. The plot started contemporary, and switched to fantasy at one point and that really took me out of the story, but then I guess I accepted it, because it was just so pretty.
I definitely liked the art more than the plot here. However, like with all good graphic novels, the art says it all. The art really made the story what it was. I’m not sure I took away what the author wanted me to. There were some fuzzy/confusing moments for me. I never really loved the main character. He starts off as a bit of a jerk. And he totally didn’t deserve his friend that stuck with him for the whole thing. But, I guess he won me over a little bit by the end.
I’m also not sure why there was a talking bear...The rest of the story was rather realistic (if a bit of a stretch that boys would bike that far from home and not be in any trouble with family). I’m not sure the bear really added anything special. He always took me out of the story because he was such a huge contrast from everything else for me.
I like the overall message of friendship, and what makes a true friend. I also just can’t stop staring at the cover. It’s beautiful. All in all, I loved the art. I wish the bear wasn’t in it. And some parts of the plot were a little confusing. I still rate it highly because I do keep thinking about it, and I do keep looking at it. I give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment