Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Heartstopper Vol 3 by Alice Oseman

Summary from Goodreads:

In this volume we’ll see the Heartstopper gang go on a school trip to Paris! Not only are Nick and Charlie navigating a new city, but also telling more people about their relationship AND learning more about the challenges each other are facing in private…

Meanwhile Tao and Elle will face their feelings for each other, Tara and Darcy share more about their relationship origin story, and the teachers supervising the trip seem… rather close…?

Review:

I just can’t get enough of these books. And I guess I’m not the only one. I’m seeing them circulate like crazy at my library this summer. And I recently went to a an independent bookstore that was sold out of book 2 and 3! I love that kids (and adults) are reading them. They are just so good.  Book 4 is my next read and I can’t wait to start it tonight!

This volume has a special place in my heart because it takes place in Paris. It’s where my husband and I had our honeymoon, so seeing Charlie and Nick begin their love story there was super special for me. It was fun watching the characters go places I’d been to, and see things through their young eyes.

I also feel like I’m learning a lot from these books. I never really thought about how characters (or people) might have to come out over and over again to different people, and how each time and each person could be so different, and how draining that might be. Watching Nick experience it over and over was scary. And learning the long term effects of Charlie’s trauma are also scary. I love how Charlie and his friends are mostly so supportive and protective of the process for Nick. Yet, there are also moments (like one at a party) that are just so not fair and ugh, I feel like it’s so believable too.

Everything about these books feel so believable. The kids who are understanding and the ones who aren’t. Nick has to learn who to trust, who his real friends are, and it all seems like so much for characters who are so young, but I know this is how it is. And I love how much Nick and Charlie care about each other. All in all, I’m coming to really care for these characters, and I’m getting more excited to read volume 4, though I’m a little nervous my expectations are too high now for the Netflix show. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment