Monday, August 15, 2022

The Marvellers by Dhonielle Clayton

Summary from Goodreads:

Author Dhonielle Clayton makes her middle-grade debut with a fantasy adventure set in a global magic school in the sky.

Eleven-year-old Ella Durand is the first Conjuror to attend the Arcanum Training Institute, where Marvellers from all around the world come together to practice their cultural arts like brewing Indian spice elixirs, practicing Caribbean steel drum hypnosis, and bartering with fussy Irish faeries. Ella knows some people mistrust her Conjuror magic, often deemed "bad and unnatural," but she's eager to make a good impression—and, hopefully, some friends.

But Ella discovers that being the first isn't easy, and not all of the Marvellers are welcoming. Still, she connects with fellow misfits Brigit, a girl who hates magic, and Jason, who is never found without a magical creature or two. Just as Ella begins to find her way at the A.T.I., a notorious criminal escapes from prison, supposedly with Conjurors’ help. Worse, her favorite teacher Masterji Thakur never returns from a research trip, and only Ella seems concerned about his disappearance.

As tensions grow in the Marvellian world, Ella finds herself the target of vicious rumors and growing suspicions. With the help of her new friends, Ella must find a way to clear her family's name and track down her beloved mentor Masterji Thakur . . . before she loses her place at the A.T.I. forever.

Review:

I have to admit there were times when I thought this book was almost too much like Jessica Townsend’s Nevermoor series….However, also like with Townsend’s books, I could not stop reading this one. I guess if I had to explain what this was, it’s kind of a mixture of Nevermoor and Amari and the Night Brothers (where are you book 2??). That being said, what a fun, magical start to a new series!

It took me a minute to get fully invested in the world. But, when I did, I really did. The folklore of New Orleans oozes through with every page. Then combine that magic and folklore with cultures and mythology from around the world.  Yes, please! Oh, and then a Hogwarts-esque school that’s up in the sky…and you have to take sky ferries to get there.

Also, racism is real in this book. The characters are diverse. If the magic involving kids with innate super powers, the immaculate world-building, the politics, and the fun characters don’t grab you, then there’s also the mystery storyline of an escaped convict, secret chaos societies, kidnappings, and hidden secrets layered throughout to keep you hooked. There’s just so much more I want to know! I guessed a major plot twist early on, but that’s only because this genre is my thing and I read A LOT. I can see kids being shocked.

I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I flew through this book. It was one of those instances where I was sad when it was over and went, “Oh…that’s it?” I’m excited to see where the author takes this story. I know kids will love this series too, especially fans of Townsend, Alston, and Messenger. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment