Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The REMA Chronicles: Realm of the Blue Mist by Kim Kibuishi

Summary from Goodreads:

Enter the rich and fantastical world of Rema in the first installment of this middle-grade graphic novel series with sweeping adventure and light romance!

Tabby Simon is determined to learn what happened to her father, who was found dead after researching a tree that leaks a mysterious mist in her neighborhood. She is unexpectedly led to Rema, a distant world of magic and beauty that is periodically invaded by a nearby planet desperate for resources. While Tabby searches for the truth surrounding her father's death, she meets a handsome blue-haired boy named Philip. He has his own dangerous secrets, but he has promised to help Tabby get home. As Tabby learns more about this strange world, she discovers that she is destined for something far greater than she ever could have imagined.

Review:

I’m not going to lie; When I first saw this book, I thought it was a new book by the author of Amulet…Then, I learned it was a new series by his wife…I quickly buried my disappointment for amazement at the talent that is the Kibuishi family. Seriously, how did they find each other? This book is insanely beautiful. Even just typing this short paragraph now is difficult because my eyes keep wandering to the left of my computer to stare some more at the book cover.

Also, books with portals to other worlds are kind of catnip for me. This book reads a tiny bit more YA than Middle grade because there are slight romantic undertones and the main character seems a little more like a teen than a kid. But, there’s nothing really wrong with shelving it with the other Kibuishi books. Fans of Amulet will be delighted.

It’s the kind of graphic novel you finish in one sitting. The characters in the other world all know how to fly. There’s politics, magic, beautiful scenic artwork, and incredible world-building. There’s also the mystery of Tabby’s father’s death and the ghost she keeps seeing. Basically, you’ll want book 2 as soon as you finish book 1, but who knows how long the wait will be. You also get the feeling that the author just scratched at the surface of the turmoil here. There’s a lot left unsaid about the problems on the world with the rebels and the masks.

All in all, I loved this. I know kids will love this. And I cannot wait to read more. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment