Sunday, August 7, 2022

Heartstopper Volume 2 by Alice Oseman


Summary from Goodreads:


Nick and Charlie are best friends. Nick knows Charlie's gay, and Charlie is sure that Nick isn't.

But love works in surprising ways, and Nick is discovering all kinds of things about his friends, his family ... and himself.

Review:

I think I liked this one even more than book 1. And I devoured book 1… I’m trying to space them out and not binge them all in one go, so I can savor these, but it’s so hard not to just go from one book to the next. They are just that good. I also really want to go watch the Netflix series now, but I’m not letting myself watch it until I read all the books first.

There’s just something so pure and authentic about these books. They ring so true to what falling in love for the first time feels like. I find myself having this stupid, goofy smile for most of my reading of it. Every scene that involves the ridiculously cute dog definitely brings out a smile. And I guess how can you not like this one more when the first book felt a little unrequited, and this one was just about love and starting a relationship?

So many YA and middle grade books are tough or serious (and we need those too), but it’s just so refreshing to read one that’s a little bit fluffy and easy. Though, this does have its moments too. Most of it is light. It’s a graphic novel you can sit down with and be done with in an hour, and then be tempted to go back to the beginning again.

The artwork is simple and monotone, but the expressions on the characters’ faces say everything you need to know. And a lot of the story is told via text messages. I’ll probably read the next two installments within the next week or so. And I’m really looking forward to it. They make for great, light, summer reads, particularly to those who like light romances. I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment