Friday, March 18, 2016

Calamity by Brandon Sanderson



Summary from Goodreads:
When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David’s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.

David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when the Reckoners’ leader struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back…

But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. They’re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.
Review:
This book was special. I don’t know why I’m always surprised by how genuinely amazing Brandon Sanderson’s books are. I shall now just always expect greatness.
 I could not have hoped for a better ending to the Reckoners series. I think it’s the ending. It felt like a good end. Though, I could see there being a few things to come back to, maybe.
There was never a dull moment. Every second of this book is full of action, fighting, saving, solving, and fixing. From the first mission for Epic weapons, to the last battle for it all, this book was pure excitement. I’m still recovering from all the excitement, and this was 3 books ago for me.
To start with, Prof makes a pretty insane super villain. I love that the lines between good and bad are more blurred in this installment. Now that David knows what he knows about weaknesses and defeating them, he’s on the ultimate mission to bring Prof back. Though, the longer Prof is doing what all Epics do, the more pain he’ll most likely be in when/if he can come back.
Prof is fighting epics for domination of cities. Obliteration is blowing up more cities and is also on a rampage. There’s members of the group David reunites with. But, David is also now in charge. He’s now responsible for the missions, bringing everyone together, and saving the world. On top of that, there’s also something serious going on with him that was only slightly hinted at in book 2. And I have no idea how I forgot all that was going on, but it’s super important.
There’s more romance with Megan. There’s more bad metaphors (though, not too many). There’s a lot more explosions and gun fights. There is also the introduction of other parallel worlds (where there may or may not be a Calamity in the sky). There’s reunions, deaths, sacrifices, and so much more. Also, Calamity is an Epic, not just a historic catastrophe. It was weird having Calamity be a character when I was used to it being a historic event instead. And wow, I was shocked by a lot of things regarding Calamity. There were a lot of twists and turns in general, but all the things with Calamity were the most twisty.
I think this was my favorite book in the series, which is saying something because I loved all the books in this series. I recommend these books to fans of Rick Riordan, James Dashner, and Alexandra Bracken. I so give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment